Description: Gateway to Wolsey's College of St Mary
Date Listed: 19 December 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 275414
OS Grid Reference: TM1637644092
OS Grid Coordinates: 616376, 244092
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0529, 1.1545
There is also a scheduled monument, Wolsey's Gate, College Street, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
1260 COLLEGE STREET
Gateway to Wolsey's College
of St Mary
TM 1644 SW 3/33 19.12.51
This brick gateway adjoining St Peter's Church Yard is all that remains of
the college founded by Cardinal Wolsey for Secular Cannons in 1528 and suppressed
in 1530. It consists of a 4-centred moulded brick archway with square hood
moulding surmounted by the arms of Henry VIII carvel in stone, now very weathered.
The arms are contained in a moulded brick panel and are flanked by niches
with cusped brick arches. Above is a band of recessed panels with quatrefoil
moulding. The gateway is enclosed by 2 octagonal piers in 3 stages. This
gateway was not the main one, but probably gave access to a quadrangle.
Adjoining the gateway on the west is a small part of the boundary wall, which
extends north, forming the limit of St Peter's Churchyard. AM.
The Church of St Peter, the Gateway to Wolsey's College of St Mary,
Nos 1 to 5 (odd) and No 4 form a group.
Listing NGR: TM1637644092
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.