Description: Tooley Court
Tooley's and Smart's Almshouses
Date Listed: 4 August 1972
English Heritage Building ID: 275466
OS Grid Reference: TM1660344278
OS Grid Coordinates: 616603, 244278
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0545, 1.1579
1260 FOUNDATION STREET
Tooley's and Smart's
TM 1644 SE 4/77
Founded in 1550 by Henry Tooley with additional endowments in 1591 by William
Smart. The whole establishment was rebuilt in 1846 and there are some C20
additions on the east side. The present buildings are on 3 sides of a garden
court with an entrance gatehouse on the west side. Red brick. 2 storeys.
Each block has 8 window range grouped 1:3:3:1, casements in chamfered reveals.
The window openings now have painted rustications. The side wings have double
ranges with enclosed yards between. The ends have open staircases with heavy
balustrade pillars and are surmounted by cables with moulded brick copings
and moulded pillar pinnacles. Roofs tiled, with 3 square chimney stacks
with moulded caps and base on each block, The central lodge and gate house facing on
to Foundation Street is in red brick with some timber-framed construction
with brick nogging. A central jettied gable has an oriel bay window with
leaded lattice lights above a 4 centred arched doorway. To the left of the
entrance way there is a timber-framed octagonal tower with brick nogging
and a shaped lead domed roof which rises above the gable roof.
Tooley's and Smart's Almhouses form a group with No 32.
Listing NGR: TM1660344278
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.