Date Listed: 4 August 1972
English Heritage Building ID: 275525
OS Grid Reference: TM1645644689
OS Grid Coordinates: 616456, 244689
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0583, 1.1560
1260 NORTHGATE STREET
TM 1644 NW 1/138
Formerly shown as Northgate House.
A large early C19 building with an interesting history. It was begun in
1809 and opened in 1821 as the New Assembly Rooms. It was launched under
public subscription but the sum obtained was not sufficient and the building
became, in succession, a school of art, the Ipswich Girls School, a motor
works and clothing factory. It is now a dry cleaning works. The west
front is of grey gault brick with a parapet and cornice. 3 storeys. 5 window
range, double-hung sashes with glazing bars, in plain reveals. Raised bands
run at the 1st and 2nd storey window sill levels and the centre part, of
3 window range breaks forward slightly. The 1st storey windows have balustraded
recessed panels beneath the sills. The ground storey is very tall, almost
2 storeys in height, with semi-circular arched windows with keystone at
the outer ends, framed by pilasters (the inner ones Ionic). The centre part
is now a C20 shop window.
All the listed buildings in Northgate Street except Garden Wall to No 9
form a group with No 43 (Great White Horse Hotel) Tavern Street, No 2
Great Colamn Street and part of Nos 2 to 12 (even) St Margaret's Plain.
Listing NGR: TM1645644689
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.