Date Listed: 19 December 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 275526
OS Grid Reference: TM1646544704
OS Grid Coordinates: 616465, 244704
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0584, 1.1562
1260 NORTHGATE STREET
TM 1644 NW 1/137 19.12.51.
Formerly the Royal Oak Inn. A fine C15-C16 timber-framed and plastered building
with exposed timber-framing. There is a cross wing at the south end with
a long frontage on Oak Lane and the upper storey is jettied on both fronts
with carved bressumers on curved brackets, capitals and shafts. It has been
considerably restored but has many original features. 2 storeys and attics.
3 window range on Northgate Street, mullioned windows, some with transomes,
with lattice leaded lights. The cross wing has an oriel bay window with
a moulded sill. Long ranges of small mullioned windows connect the windows
on the ground and 1st storeys. The gable of the cross wing projects slightly
on a moulded bressumer and the 1st floor bressumer is carved with fishes,
presumably pike. There is a fine enriched corner post, carved with figures,
one a blacksmith. The bargeboards to the gable are carved with vine ornamentation.
The attics are lit by a window in the gable. The doorway has an open porch
with a 4-centred arch with carved spandrels and an inner battened door. The
frontage on Oak Lane has several original window openings with moulded sills.
The house was extended to the north in the early C20 by F G Cotman, who lived
here. Some original timbers were employed in the work. Roofs tiled, with
1 flat headed dormer on the Oak Lane frontage.
All the listed buildings in Northgate Street except Garden Wall to No 9
form a group with No 43 (Great White Horse Hotel) Tavern Street. No 2
Great Colman Street and part of Nos 2 to 12 (even) St Margaret's Plain.
Also No 7 (Pykenham) and Garden Wall to No 9 form a group with St Mary
Le Tower Church House, Oak Lane, and St Mary-Le-Tower Church, Tower Street.
Listing NGR: TM1646544704
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.