British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Hintlesham Hall, Hintlesham

Description: Hintlesham Hall

Grade: I
Date Listed: 22 February 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 277354

OS Grid Reference: TM0831743823
OS Grid Coordinates: 608317, 243823
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0536, 1.0369

Location: Hintlesham, Suffolk IP8 3NS

Locality: Hintlesham
Local Authority: Babergh District Council
County: Suffolk
Country: England
Postcode: IP8 3NS

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Hintlesham, Suffolk at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

3/26 Hintlesham Hall
- I
Country house, now hotel. Core of c1576, altered 1680's by Henry Timperley,
remodelled c1725-40 by Richard Powys. Brick, the main facade rendered, with stone
dressings, hipped plain tile roofs. Originally E-plan, the centre arm either
removed or incorporated in the C18 facade. 2 storeys and attics. Symmetrical south
west facade in 5 bays, flanked by 4 bay wings with 2 bay south west elevations,
arranged 2:1:1:1:1:1:2. Rusticated ground floor to main range, rusticated quoins
to wings. Rendered parapets, moulded cornice, first floor rendered band. Central
doorway flanked by superimposed orders; at ground floor of paired engaged unfluted
Ionic columns, beneath entablature with modillion cornice, at first floor by
Corinthian pilasters beneath pediment contained within the parapet. Entrance
through pair of glazed doors with margin lights below overlights with glazing bars
forming semi-circle. Similar French windows to left and right, with semi-circular
heads, glazed with margin lights, and beneath arches with raised keystones, the
fenestration all of 1819, filling originally open arches. First floor: A central
Palladian window with grotesque keystone mask, and beneath lunette within the
pediment. To each side, full height sashes with heavy glazing bars, those in the
outer bays, pedimented, and the bays articulated by Corinthian pilasters between
the windows, linked by a cornice to the central feature. Inner flanks of the wing
identical but asymmetrical, 4 sashes with heavy glazing bars to each floor, and
between the first and second bays, a blind doorway. Pedimented doorcase with Ionic
pilasters, pulvinated frieze, modillion cornice, panelled reveals, 8-panel fielded
door. Identical west elevations to the wings, each of 2 bays, with sashes with
glazing bars to each floor. Rear: C16 brickwork with diaper patterning in right
hand bay and stack. Irregular gabled bays alternate with massive stacks, offset
above the eaves, and with grouped octagonal shafts. 2½ storeys 3:3:3, sashes with
glazing bars including 4 ground floor French windows. 2:2:2 dormer sashes with
glazing bars. South East Elevation: C16, C18 and C19. Asymmetrical. 4 massive
external stacks offset above eaves, the centre pair linked by flush brickwork.
The first and third, largely C16, with grouped octagonal shafts, moulded bases,
that to left with oversailing cap. Left stack also with moulded bands at first
floor and eaves height. Scattered fenestration largely sashes with glazing bars,
including early C19 stairwell light with semi-circular head and margin lights.
3 dormers, sashes with glazing bars. North West Elevation: Asymmetrical, originally
four stacks, but one reduced. Some C16 brickwork including crowstepping to 3rd
stack. Scattered fenestration. 3 dormers, sashes with glazing bars. Ground floor
obscured by C20 flat roofed extension. Interior: Saloon, formerly the hall of
the C16 house. Rises through 2 storeys. Pine panelled, formerly grained, with
dentil cornice. Chimneypiece, said to be stone, with eared surround, swagged frieze,
broken pedimented overmantel with garlanded pilasters. Mahogany pedimented doorcase
with engaged Corinthian columns, enclosing semi-circular headed doorway, the key-
stone bearing the Powys arms, pair of doors, each of 4 panels. Former dining room
(now bar), raised and fielded pine panelling, moulded dentil cornice, marble fire
surround with shaped brackets. North stairs circa 1680, oak closed string dog-leg
stair, with garlands, and with urn finials capped by flowers. String carved with
foliage panels. Turned balusters, the bulb set low, and carved with leaves. Moulded
rail with carved cornice. Panelled dado. South stair. Mid C18, mahogany, open
well, open string, each tread continuing well under that above, and the ends carved.
Fluted Corinthian newels, twisted balusters on a vase, 2 per tread. Ramped and
wreathed rail. Rondels replace torcheres bove each newel. Panelled Justice room
and offices (formerly museum) with marble fire surrounds. Similar library (now
billiard room). First floor. Drawing room, (known as Carolean Room) 1680's with
very fine plastered ceiling of richly cut naturalistic decoration in panels, at the
corners bearing the initials HT (comparable with those at Felbrigg and Melton
Constable, Norfolk, and both dated 1687). Bolection moulded panelled walls and
dado. Elaborately moulded cornice. Eared coloured marble fire surround with bay
leaf pulvinated frieze, Greek key cornice. Overmantel beneath small pediment, the
pilasters with husked garlands. Chamber, now principal bedroom, moulded stone fire-
place with keyed oval panel above, also stone and containing picture of house, said
to be C18, but does not correspond with that formerly in the saloon. Apsed entrance
hall, formerly on open loggia, with gallery above, the latter with pair of semi-
circular headed doorways at each end, and giving access to wings past saloon.
Country Life vol LXIV. 18 August 1928, p 232.

Listing NGR: TM0831743823

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.