If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 22 February 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 277363
OS Grid Reference: TM1251545029
OS Grid Coordinates: 612515, 245029
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0629, 1.0988
Explore more of the area around Sproughton, Suffolk at Explore Britain.
TM 1245 SPROUGHTON CHURCH LANE
5/35 Church of All Saints
Parish Church. Early C14, later medieval, restored 1863-68 by Frederick Barnes
of Ipswich and 1870 and 1884. Flint with stone dressings, glacial boulders
in plinth and footings, tile roof. West tower, aisled nave, south porch, partly
aisled chancel, north vestry. Square unbuttressed tower in 3 stages with embattled
parapet. Restored 3-light west window with intersecting tracery. Single lights
to north, south and west ringing chamber, with clock on north and south faces.
Y-traceried bell openings, partly restored. 3 bay nave. South aisle has one
2-light Decorated window, much restored, one 3-light Perpendicular window, probably
C19 or much restored. Similar Perpendicular style window to 1870 chancel aisle.
2-light windows with Geometric tracery to west and east walls of aisle, that
to west c1300 much restored, that to east c1870. 3 2-light clerestorey windows
of cusped Y-tracery. South doorway, early C14, 2 orders of filleted shafts
with flat bases and moulded capitals, the arch in 3 orders of rolls, with fillets
or keel. C19 door. South porch mainly C19 with diagonal buttresses, 3 centre
arched entrance, 2 orders of shafts to each side, on early C14 bases. Doorway
to chancel aisle, continuous moulding beneath hoodmould. North aisle. 2 2-light
Y-tracery windows, early C14, restored. 2 3-light perpendicular windows that
to east 1870, that to west restored. Blocked north doorway with continuous
chamfered moulding. West aisle window, 2 lights of cusped Y-tracery, c1300
altered C19. Chancel C19 5-light Perpendicular style east window; above a small
blocked lancet 3 light Perpendicular style south window. Diagonal buttresses.
Interior: 3 bay north and south arcades, early C14, the western responds rebuilt
C19. Quatrefoil piers, bases and moulded capitals, the 4 principal shafts filleted,
the intermediate shafts with narrow fillet or keel. The arches of multiple
moulded orders. Tower arch rebuilt C19. Chancel arch largely rebuilt C19.
4 centred rear arch to south doorway, north doorway blocked. Rear arches of
decorated aisle windows have moulded hoods. South aisle piscina with cusped
head beneath crocketted canopy. North aisle piscina beneath hoodmould, with
octofoil drain. Nave roof. 6 bay arch braced hammer beam roof, restored 1867-8,
each alternate bay with angels, moulded cornice, collars and purlins. C19 aisle
roof. Chancel, enriched 1884. Squint to vestry, formerly a chapel. Doorway
with continuous hollow chamfered moulding beneath similar hood, the stops in
the form of cherubs. Double piscina with traceried head divided by a central
Y-shaft, octofoil drain to left, and beneath canopy with worn figure stops.
Stepped sedilia. C19 canted roof retaining medieval moulded cornice. Benches
in chancel incorporate C15 poppyhead benchends. Octagonal font, C15, the panels
mostly recut, with symbols of the Passion. Octagonal stem, each face a paired
lancet with cusped head. Octagonal base. Monuments: to Mrs Bull, died 1634.
Marble. A kneeling figure facing east supported by angels to each side holding
drapes of canopy, contained within aedicule. The cornice carries an achievement
between console brackets; to either side an obelisk finial, the apex a further
achievement. The angels are supported on pendant bosses, beneath wnich an inscribe
apron with putto's head beneath To Edmund Beeston, died 1713, Mary his wife,
d. 1724 and children. Stone rectangular lugged aeaicule with urn finials to
each side of achievement.
To Revd Joseph Waite, Rector of the Parish in 1655. Rectangular marble monument
with moulded cornice above eared architrave, to side of which a husked vertical
moulding. Marble slab with inscription: Behold I come Rev 16.15, below encircled
Chi Ro symbol, beneath it, skull bearing winged hourglass, over I Waite Job
Listing NGR: TM1251545029
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.