Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 22 February 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 277445
OS Grid Reference: TM1704036128
OS Grid Coordinates: 617040, 236128
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9812, 1.1591
Explore more of the area around Holbrook, Suffolk at Explore Britain.
TM 13 NE HOLBROOK CHURCH ROAD
2/26 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C14 chancel and nave with C15 repairs to upper parts, C15 south
aisle, C14 south tower incorporating south porch, circa 1863 north aisle with porch
at western re-entrant angle. C19 north chapel. Flint rubble, septaria, ashlar,
C15 and later red brick stone dressings. Grey slate and lead roofs. Chancel:
Stuccoed east wall, angle buttresses, depressed gable with cross finial, window
of 4 cinquefoiled lights, tracery over, chamfered 2-centred arch, label with king
and queen stops. Band below window continues through south wall. South wall of
rubble and red brick, parapet continues through nave, band with gargoyles. South
window of 3 cinquefoiled ogee lights, tracery over, 4-centred head and label. South
aisle: South wall mainly stuccoed, red brick parapet, red brick east wall. Plinth,
angle and 2 central buttresses. 3 windows with buttresses between, the eastern
window blocked, each of 3 cinquefoiled ogee lights, tracery over, 4-centred heads
and labels, the eastern window similar but taller and with different tracery.
Blocked doorway to west of windows, stop chamfered 2-centred arch and label. East
wall window, C19, 4 cinquefoiled ogee lights above and below transom, 4-centred
head and label. South west tower of 3 stages, band to each stage. Parapet raised
at angles. North western polygonal crenellated stair turret raised above parapet.
Gargoyles below parapet. Each face of the bell chamber has a window of 2 cinque-
foiled lights 2-centred heads, 2-centred arches and labels. Second stage, south,
east and west faces, small single light windows, cinquefoiled 2-centred arches and
labels. Ground floor western and eastern windows, 2 cinquefoiled lights above and
below transom, moulded 2-centred arch, foliate stops to label. Flint flushwork
to plinth. South doorway, moulded 2-centred arch, semi-octagonal jamb shafts,
moulded capitals. Above the doorway is a niche with cinquefoiled 2-centred head.
The fabric surrounding the doorway and below the niche is of septaria rubble rather
than flint and brick rubble. Nave, west wall, formerly gabled and of stone rubble,
this wall has been raised with red brick to a depressed gable, corner buttresses,
plastered dado with 3 disc dials below the window. Red brick window of 4 lights,
2-centred heads, Y-tracery, 2-centred head, stone label with head stops, band below
window. North wall, the lower area of rubble, the upper of red brick with parapet.
Adjacent to the north aisle is a blocked red brick window of 2 round-headed lights,
square head and label, this partly concealed by north aisle. Below this window
is an angled porch with pointed roof of stone tiles, moulded 2-centre arched doorway,
label with foliate stops. C19 north aisle, north wall has 4 buttresses with 3-light
windows, roundels, 2-centre arched heads between, band below windows carries through,
west wall window of 2 lights, Y-tracery, moulded 2-centred arch. North chapel,
east wall, bowed trefoil light, label carries over 2-centred arch doorway, north
wall, 2-light window under a square head. Interior:- West porch. Tierceron vault,
moulded ribs, foliate bosses to central octagon, angel heads to wall apices, wall
shafts with moulded bases, moulded and crenellated capitals. Inner doorway, moulded
and stop chamfered 2-centred arch. Door of 5 nailed boards, 4 strap hinges. Square
brick floor. There is no division between chancel and nave. Roof of 8 bays. Heavy
chamfered tie-beams, pegged solid brackets from wall posts to tie-beams. Very short
chamfered king posts, chamfered ridge board, chamfered side purlins, plain wall
plates. C19 coloured tiled floor throughout. Chancel: C19 stone reredos of 5
trefoiled arches, cusped roundels over, 3 flanking trefoiled arches to each side.
C19 altar rails, wooden posts, foliate brackets, moulded rail. South wall, double
piscinae, 2 trefoiled arches, blank quatrefoil over, 2-centred head, 2 octagonal
drains. Adjacent to west is the double sedilia, 2 trefoiled arches, moulded central
shaft, moulded 2-centred heads, cills of 2 levels. To west of sedilia is a blocked
archway, sunk segmental head, the label over continues through south, east and north
walls of chancel. Disc dial to west of this archway. North wall, north doorway,
trefoiled inner arch, moulded 2-centred outer arch, each resting on shafts with
moulded capitals and bases, label with foliate stops. Oval wall plaque above north
door, Trapnell and Cobbold, 1773-1835. North wall piscina, moulded trefoiled arch,
moulded capitals and bases to jab shafts, round drain. Brass chandelier converted
to 10 electric lights. C19 choir stalls. Arch braced lean-to roof to north vestry.
Nave: C19 stone octagonal pulpit, moulded and crenellated rim, carved roundels
to each panel, trefoiled panels to base, moulded soffit, stem of attached shafts
with splayed bases. Lectern, stone, rectangular with similar decoration as pulpit.
C19/C20 pews, carved roundels to end panels. Floor slab, Rev Martin Nunn 1781.
West end of nave, a band follows through from south aisle, above sunk chamfered
segmental-headed doorway and the moulded 2-centred arch of the stair turret doorway,
below the western window, over the segmental-headed north doorway and terminates
at north aisle, foliate end stops. Octagonal font, carved roundels to each face,
moulded capital and base to stem, octagonal base with step to west. Disc dials
to north and south walls. South wall, framed painting of Child with Lamb. Hatch-
ment to north wall. North wall, blocked splayed square window. North and south
arcades similar, of 3 bays, moulded 2-centred arches, columns of 4 attached shafts,
continuous moulded capitals and bases, 3 attached shafts to responds. North aisle,
lean-to roof of 3 bays, pierced arched braces to apex. Organ to north east corner.
Caernarvon-headed doorway in west wall. South aisle: Lean-to roof of 4 bays, stop
chamfered double purlins and bridging joists. Wall brass, Hannah Rodgers, 1893.
Floor slab, partially obscured by a pew, 'Clench of Holbrook and Elizabeth his wife,
April 1659', coat of arms over south east corner. Monument Judge John Clench 1607
and his wife, two table tombs, his against the wall and above hers, each effigy
lying on its side facing forward, heads resting on left hand, both with ruffs and
headress, he wearing a cloak over a belted gown, she in a belted gown with long
sleeves terminating in ruffs, set back to either side of her effigy are 3 sows and
2 daughters with 4 sons and 6 daughters above and set further back. C17 embellish-
ment surrounds the inscription panel above with flanking and central coat of arms.
Inscription panel to lower tomb relates, Margerie Clench, late wife of Thomas Clench'
2 July 1597. There is said to be a late C15 brass, 31 ins long of a knight in
armour wall plaque relating that Gifford Read 1846 - 1929 and Augusta Walker his
wife, left their property at Holbrook House to the Admiralty in Trust for the Navy
in memory of its services in the Great War 1914-1918. Both rest in New Zealand.
QV 5/35. Wall memorial to John Reade of Holbrook House, 7.7.1843.
Listing NGR: TM1704036128
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.