If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 22 February 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 278832
OS Grid Reference: TM0858338242
OS Grid Coordinates: 608583, 238242
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0034, 1.0374
Explore more of the area around Capel St Mary, Suffolk at Explore Britain.
TM 03 NE CAPEL ST MARY THE STREET (NORTH SIDE)
22.2.55 Church of St Mary
Parish Church. C13/C14 chancel, C15 nave, south porch, south aisle and west
tower of possibly earlier origin. C19 restorations. Flint, rubble, red brick
and Roman brick. Stone and red brick dressings. Formerly rendered, much of the
rendering remains. Red plain tiled roofs. Stone parapet verges to chancel and
nave with cross finials to gable apices. Chancel:- Buttresses to east wall
angles, centre of north and south walls and north western angle. C15 east window
of 4 cinquefoiled ogee lights, vertical tracery over, 4-centred head, label with
head stops. Two windows to north wall, each of 2 cinquefoiled lights, trefoils
over, 2-centred heads, labels with head stops. Two windows to south wall, each
of 2 cinquefoiled lights, tracery over, 2-centred heads, label with gargoyle
stops to western window, label with head stops to east window. Door between
windows, 2-centred head and label decorated with flowers, head stops to label.
Nave north wall:- Central and western buttresses. 3 windows of 3 cinquefoiled
ogee lights, vertical tracery over, moulded 4-centred heads. Moulded labels.
There is a red brick, blocked, segmental headed doorway east of these windows
with traces of herringbone brickwork adjacent. The north doorway, between the
central and western windows has a 2-centred head of 2 chamfered orders, door of 6
overlapping battens, 2 strap hinges. South aisle:- South wall, buttressed at
angles and between central and eastern windows. These 2 windows each of 3
cinquefoiled ogee lights, vertical tracery over, moulded 4-centred heads and
labels, there are similar windows to east and west walls. The western, C19
window of 2 cinquefoiled lights, 2-centred head and label. Red brick parapet,
moulded band below. South porch:- buttress at southern angles. Round head
to outer arch, square label with quatrefoils to spandrels, the arch stop
chamfered and with carved flowers, attached shafts with moulded capitals and
bases. A window each to east and west walls of 2 cinquefoiled lights, segmental
heads, moulded labels. West Tower:- Of 3 stages, buttressed to western angles,
stair turret to second stage of south east angle, with quatrefoil and slit
lights. Formerly with a spire which was dismantled circa 1818. Plastered
parapet. Bands over each stage. Each face of the bell chamber has a louvred
window of 2 trefoiled lights, pointed segmental heads, labels over. North and
west faces of second stage each have a small, much worn trefoiled light, clock to
south face. West window of 3 cinquefoiled lights, vertical tracery, segmental
head; label with monkey headstops, restored. flint and stone panels to plinth.
South porch:- Roof of 2 bays, moulded ridge board, side purlins and principle
rafters. Moulded and crenellated wall plates, to all sides: Keyblocks to centre
of east and west wall plates. Moulded arched braces to north and south. Red
tiled floor. Chancel:- "Cradle" roof of 5 bays, possibly late C14 early C15,
the roof is coved from wall plates to side purlins and side purlins to ridge
board and boarded between the rafters. Moulded wall plates, side purlins, ridge
board and rafters. There are 5 carved angels with musical instruments to each
side of the roof, circa 1912, and shields to wall plates below each angel. C19
stained glass to windows. C19 coloured tiles to sanctuary floor. Wooden parquet
flooring to chancel. Carved and painted (blue, grey and gilt) reredos of 3
panels, canopy over central panel, enriched parapet, bosses to cornice. Blue
shafts with capitals and bases to each panel, crocketted heads, gilt diapering.
Square piscina in south wall. C19 carved wood altar rails. 2 early C19 oval
wall plaques to the Tweed family to north wall. 2 C18 rectangular memorials,
south west wall, to Hingeston Family. C19 choir stalls and panelling. C19
carved and traceried rood beam. Chamfered 2-centred chancel arch. Nave:- C15
roof of 8 bays, hammer beam type, moulded wall plates with shields. Arched
bracs to collars rest on the hammer beams, moulded double side purlins and king
post to moulded ridge board. Carved spandrels to wall post braces, shields
under. C19 coloured tiled floor. C18 octagonal pulpit with sounding board over.
An organ blocks the west tower arch. South arcade of 4 bays, octagonal columns
with moulded capitals and bases, 2-centred arches of 2 chamfered orders. South
aisle, lean-to roof of 4 bays, moulded wall plates, moulded principal and
alternate tie beams. Shields to wall plates, moulded principal and alternate tie
beams. shields to wall plates. Moulded arched braces to tie beams. C19 stained
glass to windows. Vertically boarded south wall dado. South wall memorial to
Press Family 1807. C19/C20 font, octagonal, moulded rim and soffit to bowl,
moulded capital and base to stem. Traces of painting on wall of south aisle.
West tower arch plastered round head and simple jambs.
Listing NGR: TM0858238244
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.