British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Shelley

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 22 February 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 278871

OS Grid Reference: TM0308238457
OS Grid Coordinates: 603082, 238457
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0074, 0.9575

Location: Shelley Road, Shelley, Suffolk IP7 5QX

Locality: Shelley
Local Authority: Babergh District Council
County: Suffolk
Country: England
Postcode: IP7 5QX

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text


22.2.55 Church of All Saints


Parish Church. Early C14 of possibly earlier origin, chancel, nave, north tower
and south aisle. C16 north chapel - called Tylney Chapel. Probably C15/C16
south porch which may have been rebuilt of medieval material. Flint rubble now
plastered over to most of the building, north tower flint and ashlar with brick
crenellations, C16 red brick Tylney Chapel. Red plain tiled roofs excepting lead
south porch lean-to roof. Chancel:- East window of 3 cinquefoiled 2-centred
arched lights, vertical tracery over, moulded segmental head and label. South
wall moulded 2-centre arched label, window blocked, chamfered round headed
doorway to west of this label, plank and muntin door. No windows to north wall.
Tylney Chapel:- Gabled to north. Blocked brick window with chamfered 4-centred
head and label to gable below which are 2 two-light windows with similar heads
and labels with head stops. Between these windows is a stone panel with Tylney
Coat of Arms. East return wall a similar window of 3 lights, label with head
stops. Polygonal angle pilasters. Nave:- North wall adjacent to the Tylney
Chapel is a window of 4 trefoiled lights, moulded square head and label. West
wall window 2-centred head, 2 lights with Y tracery, label over. South aisle:-
Buttressed at angles. Two windows to south wall, the eastern of 3 trefoiled
lights, moulded segmental head and label, to west of this is a window of 3
2-centre arched lights, tracery, 2-centred head and label, stylised head stops to
label. West wall window, metal, of 3 lights with transom, chamfered brick
2-centred head. Gabled south porch, timber framed on dwarf brick wall. Of 2
bays, braces to tie beams, collars to each rafter pair, 2 mullion slots to each
wall of south bay, halved and bridled top plate scarf, C19 tiled floor. South
doorway, C14 sunk chamfered and moulded 2-centred arch, label with stops, nailed
plank and muntin double doors. North Tower:- Of 3 stages, buttressed to
northern angles, bands to first stage and above bell chamber. Red brick
crenellations. Each face of bell chamber with a louvred, cinquefoiled light,
moulded 2-centred head and label. Clock faces below these windows to north, east
and west faces. Flanking the clock to north and south are 4 heavy moulded
circular tie plates. Below the northern clock is a cinquefoiled light with
moulded 2-centred head and label. North doorway, blocked, with 4 board door set
in, 2-centred head of 3 moulded orders, moulded label with head stops.
Interior. Chancel:- Boarded and ribbed roof of 5 cants, moulded wall plates.
C19 coloured tiled floor. Moulded wood altar rails. south wall; Piscina,
chamfered 2-centred head, 2 drains, one circular, one octagonal. Adjacent to the
Piscina is a low cill blocked arch with chamfered segmental head, doorway with
similar head to west of this window and another blocked window to west with
chamfered 2-centred head. North wall; tomb chest, 3 panels each with cusped and
sub-cusped moulded 4-centred heads, moulded capitals and bases to 3 attached
shafts, coats-of Arms to each pane, above are 3 shields of Arms, the central arms
larger and embellshed. The entrance to the Tylney chapel is recessed and the
recess walls and ceiling are entirely panelled. Wall monument 1866 Norman
Family. choir stalls with carved poppy heads, panelled fronts and with winged
griffons holding shields. No chancel arch. Nave:- Roof boarded and ribbed of 5
cants, moulded wall plates. Yellow brick herring bone floor. Wooden linefold
panelled octagonal pulpit, octagonal stem with moulded capital. North wall.
Chest tomb, square base, columns support the top slab, which has a moulded
cornice and rim. Front panel with embelished inscription and side roundels.
Fine recumbent praying figure in dress with neck ruff, head on pillow, stumps of
columns at angles. Inscription relates; "This tombe was made by Philip Tylney
Esq, In remembrance of his dere mother Dame Margaret, The wife of Frederick
Tylney who had issue by her. This Tylney who died without issue and the above
named Philip Tylney who by Ann daughter of Framlingham of Debenham had issue
Charles who died with issue, his father living 1598." 2 hatchments to north
wall. C20 octagonal font and stem. South arcade of 4 bays, octagonal columns,
moulded capitals and bases, chamfered 2-centred arches. South aisle. Hatchment
to south wall. No entry to north tower at time of resurvey. Tylney Chapel:-
Believed to have been built circa 1530 by Sir Phillip Tylney (D.1533) who
re-built Shelley Hall q.v. 2/82. Herring bone brick floor. 5 floor slabs in 2
rows of 3 and 2. The central slab of 3, blank, to left Dame Mary Lumby relict of
Sir Martin Lumby Kt, sometime Lord Mayor of London, D 13 June 1650, to right
Thomas Kerridge, Lord of the Manor D 20 June 1657, both with Coats of Arms. The
2 lower slabs, left Samuel Kerridge, Lord of the Manor and Susan his wife, D 13
November 1678, right John Kerridge, D 3 September 1661 aged 18, both with Coats
of Arms. Fastened to the west wall, high up is a long arm supported by a metal
brace, use unknown. Panelled dado with some linefold and Coat of Arms panels. A
fine large square stone panel to the north wall carved with the Tylney arms circa
1540-50. East wall, 2 niches with square heads that to north witgh moulded
soffit to shelf. Small C19 cast iron stove. Exodus, Creed and Lords Prayer
boards to west wall, said to contain 5 bells cast at Bury St Edmunds 1650-1747.

Listing NGR: TM0308238457

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.