British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Shelley Hall, Shelley

Description: Shelley Hall

Grade: II
Date Listed: 22 February 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 278876

OS Grid Reference: TM0281438206
OS Grid Coordinates: 602814, 238206
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0052, 0.9535

Location: Shelley, Suffolk IP7 5QX

Locality: Shelley
Local Authority: Babergh District Council
County: Suffolk
Country: England
Postcode: IP7 5QX

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text


22.2.55 Shelley Hall


Fragment of house, believed to have been re-built. Early C16 by Sir Philip
Tylney who died circa 1533, near moated site of former hall. Later alterations
and additions. Red brick with some original black header diapering. Red plain
tiled roofs. 2 storeys and attics. The main range is tall and narrow and runs
from north to south with a gabled crosswing to south. A range to north-west and
gabled north/south, contains the fragments of the former gatehouse. Occupying
the angle between the main-range and this wing is a later polygonal stair turret,
hipped roof with gablet. East of the gatehouse range is another double roof
range. The southern half original, the northern part C18 and extending to cover
part of the southern buttress of the gatehouse doorway. This range has south and
north external chimney stacks, the southern C16 3 octagonal shafts, moulded bases
and star capping, the northern C18. Between the gables is a single octagonal
shaft with moulded base and star capping. There is an original C16 polygonal
buttress adjacent to the C18 build and the C16 brick work is diapered, simple
buttress to southern angle. Gatehouse range, west face, original external
chimney stack, rectangular shaft. Off centre to rear (east) of main range a C16
external stack commences at first floor level, octagonal shaft, moulded base,
star capping. There is an original polygonal buttress to north of this stack.
Southern range, 2 stacks, that to ridge a C16 octagonal shaft, moulded base, star
capping; breaking through roof above eaves is a square stack with moulded
capping. Main range:- West (front) face:- 3 gabled dormers to left (north).
Two wide polygonal buttresses. Diapered brick work to first floor northern
bays. First floor, left (north) 2 original chamfered brick 2-light windows, 5
square heads, moulded labels, one light of northern window hidden by stair
turret, similar blocked window below. These windows intact internally. First
floor right southern bays 2 windows below eaves and 2 lower small paned 2-light
casements, segmental heads. Between these windows a moulded brick panel with
Coat of Arms. Ground floor, 2 C20 windows, segmental heads. C20 restored
4-centred arch doorway, plank and muntin door. Rear (east ) Face:- Much
repaired brickwork. First floor 3 casement windows, that to north set into an
original blocked window with brick chamfered square head and label. Ground
floor. Blocked round headed arch to south, C20 2-light window set in, one other
similar window with segmental head to north. A C20 lean-to covers the wall to
north. Brick courtyard in front of this face. Southern crosswing:- Three
single storey extensions to west. 2-light window to gable attic. South, small
gabled dormer, 3 first floor, 2 ground floor vari-light windows, attic window to
east. Later buttresses to ground floor. North western gatehouse range:- First
floor band to north and east faces. North face, single windows to attic and
first floor, ground floor 3 windows, various casements and sashes. Central,
below the band is a large square stone panel with finely carved Tylney Arms.
Eastern face. Doorway flanked by full height polygonal buttresses, trefoiled
panels to 3 stages, the southern buttress partly obscured by later building.
Chamfered 4-centre arched doorway, fragment of square label over, above this
doorway a C20 window is set into a brick label. West face has similar buttresses
but the doorway is blocked with a C20 window over in chamfered opening. Western
stair turret of 3 angles, a leaded 2-light window to each angle, graduated
levels; brick surrounds, square labels with raised heads. North eastern range;
west face 2 first floor small paned vertically sliding sashes. Similar window to
ground floor north and two 3-light leaded casements with transoms. Above these
windows the brickwork is diapered. Interior. Gatehouse range, 2 plastered stop
chamfed arches to ground floor. C18 plastered ceiling to ground floor room.
Fire surround with moulded frieze. Early C19 fire surround to eastern room.
Moulded and nailed vertically boarded door. Circa 1600 dog gate to stairs with
original hinge and catch, trellised base, turned balusters, carved top rail,
moulded frame. Carved lintel to stairface on moulded bracket. Spiral staircase
to stair turret. North eastern range, dining room. Chamfered bridging and
ceiling joists. Large inglenook fireplace, moulded pilasters with capitals and
bases, chamfered mantel beam. Linenfold cupboard door by fireplace. Plank and
muntin door. Main range:- Hall door moulded 4-centred door arch, carved shields
of arms to spandrels. Brick pammets to floor. Kitchen of 3 bays, heavy stop
chamfered bridging joists. Southern Range, heavy stop chamfered bridging joists,
later support storey post with bolted brace. Blocked fireplace with mantel beam
exposed. Blocked plastered arch to outer wall, possibly a bake oven. Eastern
room of this range used as a wash house, stop chamfered bridging joists. First
floor. Nailed boarded door at top of stairs. Some window splays and original
windows visible. Small spiral staircase to attic. Roof mainly covered, appears
to be side purlin construction with collars to principle rafters. Vertically
boarded doors to attics. Panelled bedroom, moulded cornice, bolection moulding
to fireplace. Moulded panelled doors with original hinges. Chamfered bridging
Joists throughout. Southern bedroom, some re-set linefold panelling around C20
fireplace. The great grandson of Sir Phillip Tylney was related to Queen
Elizabeth I and entertained her here 1561. The Kerridges lived here from the
time of Charles I to 1747. 1758 to 1875 inhabited by the Partridge Family.
N Pevsner. Suffolk 1974. E Sandon Suffolk Houses 1977.

Listing NGR: TM0281438206

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.