British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Bartholomew, Finningham

Description: Church of St Bartholomew

Grade: I
Date Listed: 29 July 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 279458

OS Grid Reference: TM0664969396
OS Grid Coordinates: 606649, 269396
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2838, 1.0282

Location: Church Lane, Finningham, Suffolk IP14 4JB

Locality: Finningham
Local Authority: Mid Suffolk District Council
County: Suffolk
Country: England
Postcode: IP14 4JB

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Finningham, Suffolk at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TM 0669
7/2 Church of St. Bartholomew


Parish church. Early C14, south porch added and refenestrated in C15, north
porch added in C16; restored and chancel largely rebuilt 1886. Flint rubble,
part cement rendered, ashlar dressings; knapped and squared flint in south
porch, irregularly bonded red brick north porch. Slate nave roof, plaintiled
chancel roof. Long nave with narrower short chancel, west tower, south porch,
north porch/vestry. 3 stage square west tower, unbuttressed with ashlar
quoining, upper half rendered, moulded plinth. To west an entrance, a
slightly ogee headed pointed arch with hollow and wave moulded orders, hood
mould with square outer moulding, moulded double doors with a blocked 5-light
head. Second stage has small chamfered louvred lancets, string course to
belfry, 3 chamfered pointed arched Y traceried louvred openings with hood
moulds, to east a quatrefoil, cornice to knapped flint embattled parapet,
small brattished angle projections. Nave has three 3-light large
Perpendicular windows to each side, trefoiled ogee headed lights, brattished
rectilinear tracery, segmental pointed arched heads. Eaves boarded to south,
C15 timbers exposed to north, diagonal buttresses to west with coped parapets
into tower, straight buttresses to east with a scratch dial to south, coped
gable parapet with C19 kneelers. South porch is to west of centre on nave,
outer pointed arch, waved moulded outer order with restored Tudor flower and
coronet ornament, inner Tudor flowers onto shafted responds with brattished
caps, hood mould with mask stops; flint panelled double plinth, flint panels
above have traceried stone heads, ashlar above a projecting course at impost
level of arch, relief octafoils with shields of arms in spandrels of entrance
arch, flanking statue niches with restored cusped ogee heads, pedestals, outer
shafts to pinnacled and crocketed heads; above flint panels with cusped and
pinnacled tracery, a central niche with lion at base, restored vaulting,
richly crocketed ogee canopy with a brattished domical head, shafts with
crocketed pinnacles; shallow gable to front, parapet has relief quatrefoils,
moulded coping, broken shaft to ridge cross, angles have crocketed pinnacles;
2 stage brattished diagonal buttresses to returns with tall 2-light
Perpendicular windows, brattished rectilinear tracery, hoodmoulds with foliate
stops; C19 wrought iron doors into porch, inner entrance has a C14 pointed
arch with a single moulded order, hoodmould, early moulded doors, inner jamb
to east has carved consecration crosses. North porch has an outer hollow
moulded 4 centred gauged brick entrance arch, hood mould continued as a string
course onto diagonal buttresses and returns, over arch an empty panel with a
moulded square head, steeply pitched pantiled roof; returns have moulded
plinths, 2-light Y traceried hollow moulded openings with 4 centred arched
heads, C14 inner entrance as to south. Unbuttressed chancel, to east a
restored 3-light Perpendicular window as in nave, above a C19 niche ornamented
as on porch, kneelers to coped gable parapet with ridge cross, to south a low
side door in a chamfered pointed arch, flanking and to north similar 2-light
Perpendicular windows. Interior: broad chancel arch with outer hollow
moulding, inner continuous chamfer. To tower a 4-centred arched opening with
pointed arched doors, above leading to belfry a chamfered pointed arched
opening. 7 bay single hammerbeam nave roof, moulded posts with arched braces
to hammerbeams from which terminal figures are removed, arched braces up to
brattished collars, moulded principals and butt purlins, foliate bosses, coved
and moulded wall plates with brattishing continued on hammerbeams, brattished
moulding over rendered ashlaring. 4 bay chancel roof is C19 following nave
model. North porch roof has arched braced collars, moulded wallplates.
Chancel south wall restored piscina with a trefoiled head, lower sill to
adjacent window as sedilia. Nave to west has early herringbone brick paving.
Octagonal font at west end of nave, late C15 restored; complex double base has
rebates in upper section to create a Maltese cross, heavily moulded stem with
cusped pointed arched panels, roll moulded surrounds, coving to bowl with
quatrefoil traceried panels, roses and masks, square patterning on alternate
panels. Ornate C15 timber font cover, brattishing over moulded base, complex
traceried panels with varying geometrical designs of squares and circles,
crocketing up to low pinnacle, lifting system with ornate wrought iron weight.
Poppyhead bench ends, some re-used as choir stalls, many of C15 with tracery;
seated figures and grotesques on buttressed arm rests, possibly vices and
virtues, a depiction of greed, a figure with a rosary, 2 figures in castles.
Late C19 Gothic reredos, to west a late C19 Neo-Perpendicular gallery with
traceried frontal. An C18 or C19 chest reusing older iron binding. On
chancel north wall a marble tablet to Sir J. Fenn, 1794, antiquary, editor of
the passion letters, by J. Bacon, 1797; lengthy inscription, above a female
figure mourning over a chest tomb with shield of arms, black marble backing.
Tablet to J. Williamson, d.1781, by J. Golden, white and pink marble, Neo-
classical, at base a swagged frieze, guttae and a radiating lunette, above
scrolls with shield of arms. Elenor Fenn, d.1813, by Thomson, inscribed
pointed arched slab, ogee hoodmould with mask stops; Ann Frere, d.1728, long
inscription in a marble suround; a brass plaque specifying charity of E. Frere
of 1766. Chancel floor 3 C17 inscribed slabs. Nave floor 2 brass insets.
East window has fragments of C15 glass, saints at head, C19 glass in chancel
to north.

Listing NGR: TM0664969396

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.