British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Street Farmhouse with Attached Outbuilding, Botesdale

Description: Street Farmhouse with Attached Outbuilding

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 16 March 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 280749

OS Grid Reference: TM0491475943
OS Grid Coordinates: 604914, 275943
Latitude/Longitude: 52.3433, 1.0068

Location: The Street, Botesdale, Suffolk IP22 1DD

Locality: Botesdale
Local Authority: Mid Suffolk District Council
County: Suffolk
Country: England
Postcode: IP22 1DD

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Botesdale, Suffolk at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TM 0475
6/28 Street Farmhouse with
- attached Outbuilding
Inn, latterly 2 dwellings and a farmhouse, now a house. Early C15, extended
early C16, floor and stacks inserted C17, extended C18; refronted, partially
reroofed and altered early C19 for G. St Vincent Wilson of Redgrave Hall (not
listed), '1833 G St.V.W.' datestone on outbuilding. Timber frame, plastered,
refronted in red brick. Plaintiled roofs. Early large open hall of 2 unequal
bays with lower end to right, no traces of original service bay or crosswing;
C16 additions to left consist of a 3 bay cross wing projecting slightly
forwards and possibly replacing an earlier upper cross wing, a 3 bay
originally jettied range with a-narrow cross passage bay to left and to far
left a short 2 bay 'service' cross wing; stacks inserted in hall upper bay and
in formerly jettied range; an C18 dairy bay added to far left. Now all 2
storeys with an attic in original hall. Main entrance in C19 red brick front
is at upper end of hall range, architraved double 6 panelled doors, shaped
brackets to a pedimental hood with a panelled soffit. To right a recessed 16
pane sash with a slightly cambered gauged brick head, first floor transomed 3-
light part opening metal frame glazing bar casement with a similar head.
Continuous offset plinth, boxed eaves. Projecting slightly to left is early
C16 3 bay cross wing with a ground floor 16 pane sash, two first floor metal
frame cross casements, gauged brick cambered heads, bargeboards to gable,
slightly lower ridge. A pilaster strip to left where former jettied range has
been underbuilt and 'service' cross wing has been subsumed into a broad 2 bay
frontage with ground floor 3 and 4-light metal frame part opening glazing bar
casements with cambered heads, first floor cross casements, roof half hipped
to left. An axial ridge stack in right bay of former jettied range, cap
rebuilt in white brick, to rear of early upper bay is a second inserted stack.
Lower C18 dairy to far left with a kitchen stack adjoining main build. Right
gable end is red brick with wavy bargeboards. To rear early bays have ground
floor red brick, a C19 6 panelled door with a fanlight opposite main entrance,
a 2-light gabled dormer in hall upper bay; cross wing has a 2-light glazing
bar casement over a lean-to outshut which continues behind former jettied
range, C19 overhanging first floor. Interior: early C15 hall bays; frame
concealed on ground floor, first floor very close studding of large scantling
with a large reverse curved tension brace in upper end wall, wall plates have
splayed scarf joints at open truss where posts have moulded heads, arched
braces removed, double wave moulded cambered tie beam with grooved soffit,
octagonal crown post with elaborately moulded brattished cap and broached
base, large 2-centred arched 4 way braces, a longitudinal brace at lower end,
smoke blackened rafters with tenoned soulaces to collars. Early C16 build: 3
bay crosswing; frame concealed on ground floor with a partition to left
removed, rebated corner posts, first floor entrance into rear bay to right
with a 4-centred arched door head, close studding, 4-centred arched braces
from posts to chamfered cambered tie beams, 2 slender octagonal crown posts,
simply moulded brattished caps and bases, 2 way arched bracing to collar
purlin with a bridled scarf joint, downward curved braces from crown posts in
end walls, no blackening. 3 bay formerly jettied range, jetty had brackets to
every third joist, close studding, stop chamfered axial binding beam on 4
centred arched brackets, 1 removed, inserted stack has a stop chamfered
fireplace bressumer, first floor entrance to rear of cross passage bay to left
with a 4-centred arched door head, a 2-light cavetto mullioned window opening,
reverse curved tension braces in left end wall, cambered tie beams, crown
posts removed, stack cuts collar purlin, no blackening. 2 bay service cross
wing has rebated corner posts, altered roof retaining central truss with 4-
centred arched braces from posts to chamfered cambered tie beam, a square
crown post with 2-way arched bracing, no blackening. Attached to rear right a
flint and red brick wall with a door links to stable outbuilding, flint and
red brick, pantiled roof. Datestone in gable facing house, inner elevation
has 3 boarded doors and 3 windows all with cambered heads, flint outer
elevation has a 2-light window. Attached to rear of house is a C19 iron pump
with a timber casing. Formerly known as The White Hart and from c.1700 as
White Hart Farm (East Anglian Miscellany, 1925, pp.62-4).

Listing NGR: TM0491475943

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.