Description: Church Farmhouse
Date Listed: 1 September 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 281996
OS Grid Reference: TM4415679538
OS Grid Coordinates: 644156, 279538
Latitude/Longitude: 52.3595, 1.5844
TM 47 NW
6/37 Church Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Mid C16 with early C17 service range set forward to right and mid-
late C19 brick wing to rear. Restored c.1968. Timber framed and plastered,
with some exposed close studding at first floor level at the rear; red brick
gable end to the right. Roof of glazed black pantiles. 2 storeys and attics.
3 cell form. Mullioned windows: some are original, with roll-moulded
mullions, but most are mid C20 copies; further original windows are visible
internally. Lobby entrance with mid C20 gabled brick porch and plank door.
Good stack with 4 detached octagonal flues with moulded brick bases and caps.
The right hand gable end has C16 brickwork although the upper part was rebuilt
C18; the gable may originally have been crowstepped. The service range is
considerably altered, with a C19 red brick casing and shallow-pitch roof. The
hall and parlour have fine roll-moulded beam and joist ceilings with run-out
stops to the joists; the moulding is continued down the wallposts. Some close
studding is visible at the service end, but elsewhere in the main range little
of the frame is exposed. The ground floor fireplace at the service end has a
fine 3-way chimney crane. The C19 rear wing has a good imported C16 4-centre
arched stone fireplace with carved spandrels.
Listing NGR: TM4415679538
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.