Description: Church of St Genevieve at Fornham Park
Date Listed: 14 July 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 284085
OS Grid Reference: TL8399668359
OS Grid Coordinates: 583996, 268359
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2826, 0.6960
FORNHAM ST GENEVIEVE
TL86NW Church of St Genevieve at Fornham Park
Church tower. Only the ruinous west tower of the former parish church remains; the rest was accidentally burnt down on 24th June 1782. C14. Rubble flint, with freestone quoins; in 3 stages, unbuttressed, with a plain uncrenellated parapet. A 2- light window with cusped heads to lights on all faces of the top stage; a quatrefoil window on the middle stage of the west face, and a lancet on the first stage; a high tower arch on the east.
HISTORY. This tower was consciously retained after the fire to provide a romantic focal point in the landscape park laid out in Fornham Park in the late C18. Capability Brown, who died in 1783, visited Fornham in 1781 and again in 1782 after the fire, and produced schemes for the park and for rebuilding the church, but the extent of his contribution is not certain at present.
Part of a significant group including the surviving service buildings and walled gardens (q.v.).
Listing NGR: TL8399668359
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.