Description: Village School and Parish Room
Date Listed: 15 July 1981
English Heritage Building ID: 28535
OS Grid Reference: ST6822269477
OS Grid Coordinates: 368222, 169477
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4234, -2.4584
5118 BITTON CHURCH LANE
Village School and
ST 6869 15/115
1830, cost £360. Commissioned by Rev H T Ellacombe (who probably supplied
the design). Pennant stone rubble with pantile roof, wide eaves on modillions,
coped verges with footstones 3+3 two-light Tudor arched windows with moulded
heads and drips. Central blind panel in similar style inscribed "Village
School Room built by Voluntary Subscriptions added to a grant from the
National Society MDCCCXXX". Lower porch bay to right with coped verge
and Tudor arch doorway with lozenge stop dripmould and battened door.
To left is a projecting 2 window gabled cross wing with 5-light Tudor arch
windows with drips, it has slate roof which has lean-to porch with moulded
Tudor arch doorway with lozenge step hood mould (this lean-to cuts across
the left hand of the parish room windows). Two of the windows on east
side retain patterned cast-iron casements.
Listing NGR: ST6822269477
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.