British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Bast's, Grundisburgh

Description: Bast's

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 16 March 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 285462

OS Grid Reference: TM2247951112
OS Grid Coordinates: 622479, 251112
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1135, 1.2479

Location: Woodbridge Road, Grundisburgh, Suffolk IP13 6UF

Locality: Grundisburgh
Local Authority: Suffolk Coastal District Council
County: Suffolk
Country: England
Postcode: IP13 6UF

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Grundisburgh, Suffolk at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TM 25 SW
(North side)
16/3/66 Bast's
House. c.1520 with C17 and C20 additions and alterations. Timber framed
with some brick infill and colourwashed infill and render. Plain tiled
roof. Three storeys and two storeys with attic. Double pile axial range
attached to earlier cross wing with which it is flush. Garden front: range
of c.1520 at left which has brick walling to the ground floor with blue
brick diapering. Central window of 5 lights with upper windows of 4 lights
at either side which may originally have extended further. Richly moulded
wooden frame, some transoms renewed in the C20 (a feature common to all the
window frames on this range). To the first floor is a moulded bressumer
beam, close studding, a central 5-light window with 4-light upper lateral
windows. Richly moulded bracket to the left hand corner which has the mark
of Thomas Awall, Salter, who built the house. To the second floor, also
jettied, is a further richly moulded bressumer with close-studding and
angle braces and two 3-light C19 windows. Hipped roof above. to the right
of this range is the C17 range which is timber framed and has colourwashed
render and at far left a plank door with 3-light overdoor. To right of
this a 5-light window with moulded mullions and a transom and to right
again are a 3-light and a 6-light window with moulded mullions. To the
first floor are two 4-light windows with moulded mullions and transoms and
two 3-light windows between these. In the valley between the ridges are,
at right a square stack with moulded cap and at left two circular flues
with zig-zag decoration of moulded brick. The left hand front: of c.1520
has brickwork to the ground floor at left and right, the rest of the ground
floor here being rendered and colourwashed. At right is a 5-light
mullioned window with a doorway at far left with a richly panelled door.
Plank door at right of centre with C17 strap hinges. C19 rectangular bay
window at left of centre with richly moulded mullions and transoms.
Jettied first floor with richly moulded bressumer and close studding.
Four-light casements to far left and right. The second floor is again
jettied with close studding. Three hipped roofs above this although an
early C19 drawing in the British Museum (Davy Collection) repeatedly shows
the house with two gables. Rear: to the right hand end is the earlier wing
which has brick walling at ground floor level. Ground floor window with
chamfered brick mullions. Moulded bressumer to jettied first floor which
has close studded walling with angle braces and a central 3-light window.
Heavy angle bracket bearing the mark of Thomas Awall and his crest. The
second floor above this is again jettied with a richly moulded bressumer
and more close studding, with angle braces but no windows. To left of this
is the C17 wing which has a ground floor doorway at left of centre, a 4-
light window at left again and at right two C19 or C20 cross-windows.
Further cross-windows to far right. To first floor at right a 3-light C19
window and at centre a 3-light and a 2-light window and at far left a 4-
light window with moulded mullions and a transom. Right hand end: 2 bays
with hipped roofs above and to right and left of this are windows of 4
lights with ovolo-moulded mullions and a transom. Two similar windows to
the first floor. To the ground floor at left of centre is a stable door,
now blocked.

Interior: Dining room (formerly entrance hall). Massive ceiling beam and
dragon beam, both having roll mouldings and cavetto moulds to the
underside. Further cavetto moulds to the sides and roll mould to angle.
Joists with angle-beads radiating from these two beams. the sitting room
has similarly moulded ceiling beams and joists. Some C17 panelling to the
walls with moulded muntins and cross-rails and panelled doors. Richly
moulded bressumer to the fireplace which also has a richly moulded brick
surround. In the C17 portion of the house the morning room has C20
panelling of C17 pattern. The present drawing room was formed from two
rooms and has planted timber including a central square post below ceiling
beams which are supported here and at their wall ends by knee braces.
Staircase of one flight and of C19 wood. Close studding and chamfered
ceiling beams to the first floor landing. Central pillar with chamfered
corners and ogee end stops. Bedrooms with chamfered ceiling beams and
close studded walling to the C17 portion. The early C16 bedrooms have
richly moulded ceiling beams, dragon beams and joists similar to those seen
at ground floor level. The present 2nd floor attics in the early C16 range
have a series of cross walls with angle braces and close studding, some
with wattle and daub infill. To the C17 wing are tie beams cambered
collars and wind braces.

Listing NGR: TM2247951112

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.