British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Ramsholt

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 16 March 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 285492

OS Grid Reference: TM3069542092
OS Grid Coordinates: 630695, 242092
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0292, 1.3616

Location: Ramsholt, Suffolk IP12 3AE

Locality: Ramsholt
Local Authority: Suffolk Coastal District Council
County: Suffolk
Country: England
Postcode: IP12 3AE

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Ramsholt, Suffolk at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TM 34 SW
(South side)
10/126 Church of All Saints
Church. Anglo-Saxon or Romanesque tower with nave and chancel of c.1300
and porch of c.1850. Flint rubble, rendered with brick and ashlar
dressings and a plain tiled roof, originally thatched. Circular western
tower, nave and chancel. Tower: west face: central buttresses rising the
full height of the tower and having 4 offsets. Lancet light at right of
this to ground floor stages with ashlar surround of c.1300. Brick
voussoirs above. To the belfry stage are lancet openings at right and left
with similar surrounds. Third similar belfry opening facing east. To the
sides of the tower and adjacent the nave wall are similar buttresses to
that at the centre of the western front and these, so placed, give the
tower a slightly oval appearance. Ashlar coping to top of the tower.
Patching of the tower fabric has incorporated brick and a coat of render
has been roughly applied to parts this century. Nave: south face: rendered
walling. Porch to left of centre of flint rubble with red brick quoins to
the outer corners and to either side of the central arched doorway and
brick kneelers and coping to the gable as well as 3 pointed blank niches
also of brick at either side of the arch and to the gable. Rendered side
walls and pantile roof. To right of the porch is a Perpendicular triple
lancet window with 4-centered heads to the lights. The ashlar surround
partially rendered. To right of this a Perpendicular window of 2 lights
with a hollow chamfered ashlar surround, cinquefoil heads to the lights,
quatrefoil and daggers to the apex. Some of which tracery has been
replaced. North face: doorway to right of c.1300 with chamfered ashlar
surround with hood mould. To left of this are two windows set high in the
wall of paired lancets with 4-centered heads and rendered and chamfered
brick surrounds. Chancel: south wall: two Y-tracery windows with
chamfered surrounds and hoodmoulds between which is a priest's door of
similar date also having chamfered surround and hood mould. North face:
single window at right with a rendered brick surround of 3 Perpendicular
lights with panel tracery above and hood mould. East wall: diagonal
buttresses to the angles dying into the corners via 2 offsets. C19 ashlar
kneelers and coping to the gable. Central 3-light window with interlacing
tracery and chamfered surround, some of which has been replaced.

Interior: Porch: doorway of c.1310 with chamfered surround and hood mould.
Nave and chancel: doorway to the tower now rendered and limewashed with
projecting springers and ashlar voussoirs to the round arch. Roof of C19
date of 3 bays with wall posts resting on stone corbels and arched braces
connecting to the collars which support king posts. C19 chancel arch with
rectangular piers to either side with chamfered corners. Chancel roof
partially panelled and probably of C19 build but incorporating older
timbers. The wall posts having rounded ends. Piscina to the eastern end
of the southern wall with ogee arch and hollow-chamfered surround. Lowered
window sill forming sedilia. Flooring of yellow bricks to nave and
chancel. Set of high C18 or early-C19 box pews of wood-grained deal with
panelled doors and a double-decker pulpit to the nave side of the chancel
arch at south. The pulpit has a deep, stepped cornice. The pews retain
the arrangement whereby those within the chancel face west towards this
pulpit in defiance of the later C19 reinstatement of the chancel liturgy.
Two simple candlestands with square poles and lipped circular tops. Ramped
and arched draught screens to the western end. Octagonal font with an
octagonal step and circular shaft. which are undecorated and may be earlier
than the comparatively small C15 or early C16 octagonal bowl which has
slightly sunken square panels to each side with quatrefoil tracery and
square shields. The northern and southern nave doors are directly opposite
each other and each has a splayed reveal with cambered and chamfered
relieving arch.
SOURCES: Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Suffolk, 1975
H. Munro Cautley, Suffolk Churches, 1982

Listing NGR: TM3069542092

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.