Date Listed: 11 May 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 28645
OS Grid Reference: ST6927969962
OS Grid Coordinates: 369279, 169962
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4278, -2.4433
5118 BITTON UPTON CHEYNEY
No 2 Humberstones
(formerly listed as
No 2 Marshfield Lane)
ST 6969 15/35A 11.5.53.
Abuts left end of Mr Ollis's stores. C16 or early C17 cottage in rubble with
pantile roofs. Gabled projecting wing to right, flat coping to gable, stone
stack at apex and projecting chimney breast in diminishing stages up front
elevation of wing. Left hand section has one window per floor, 3 and 4-light
casements with convex-moulded wooden mullions. Inward facing elevation wing
has modern door under wooden lintel and one later 2-light casement to ground
floor. Modern 2 storey extension to left with 2 storey gable end bay. To
rear: one pair of windows in slight break, door abuts to right of this and
has stopped-ovolo surround.
Interior: Main part has large fireplace. Projecting wing has a good moulded
3 centred arch headed fireplace, centre part, with keystone and rosette, restored.
This building was used in the late C18 and early C19 by an independant non-conformist
congregation (followers of Cennick) who later built the Congregational Chapel
Listing NGR: ST6927969962
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.