Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 29 March 1973
English Heritage Building ID: 286623
OS Grid Reference: TQ1723165953
OS Grid Coordinates: 517231, 165953
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3805, -0.3169
TQ 16NE BOROUGH OF ELI13RIDGE CHURCH ROAD
3/54 Church of St. Mary
Church. 1880 by G.E. Street. Buff covered coursed marble stone with Bath stone
dressings; plain tiled roofs, slate over south aisle. Dressed stone twin bellcote
to east gable of nave. Roughly cruciform with galbed porch to north and vestry
to south east. 2-light aisle windows with cill band, 3-light to clerestory. 2
windows to west end with panel tracery. Arched plank doors to north and south
wing with C-strap hinges.
Interior: 3 bay nave arcade on round piers to west, quatrefoil pier to centre of
south arcade, octagonal pier to centre of north arcade. Full height chancel arch.
Fitting: stone pulpit, mullion and transomed panels, stone dado screen with iron
railings above across the chancel. Marble bowl font with 8 concave sides on
columned stem. Reredos: 1930.
Monuments: South transept,east wall: Late brass. 1527. To Robert Castleton and wife.
Taken from the old demolished church.
Listing NGR: TQ1723165953
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.