Church of St Andrew, Elmbridge
Description: Church of St Andrew
Date Listed: 14 August 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 286627
OS Grid Reference: TQ1078659743
OS Grid Coordinates: 510786, 159743
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3260, -0.4114
Location: Downside Bridge Road, Cobham, Surrey KT10 8QS
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
TQ 15NW BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE CHURCH STREET
8/63 Church of St. Andrew
Church. C12 tower and nave with C19 aisles and and south chapel, 1853-1886, restored
in 1902. Flint, puddingdtone to west with carstone dressings, south aisle pebble-
dashed, plain tiled roof with west tower under wood shingled broach spire. Nave
with aisles and south porch, chancel with chapels. West tower with renewed 2-light
bell openings in the first stage, 3-light trefoil head windows to aisles; east
window with intersecting tracery. Timber framed south porch with curved bargeboards.
South door Norman, with jamb shafts, 3-scalloped capitals,an order of zig-zag,
inner roll moulding and outer hood moulding of billets.
Interior : 4 bay nave, octagonal piers to south arcade, quatrefoil piers to north.
Inner arch on unmoulded imposts with many scalloped freize; chancel arch with roll
moulding. North aisle roof with crown-post trusses. 2 bay chancel on round pier
arcade to north, blocked lancet, C12, in north chancel wall.
Fittings include: C19 stone font, octagonal on quatrefoil pier. Round arcaded
pulpit on square pier with attached columns. 3 arched screen to north chancel
chapel. Triangular Piscina in south chancel wall. Pre-Raphaelite style east
Monuments: North Chancel chapel, south wall spandrel over arcade: Brass plate to
A Cooper. Died 1618.
Chancel, south wall: Engraved brass plate showing a Nativity, C17.
South chancel chapel,south wall: Monument to William Henry Cooper. Died 1840. Grey
and white marble in Greek Revival style. Rectangular ground with corner palmettes
semi-reclining figure with female angel standing over.
South aisle, east pier of south aisle arcade: C17 brass. Standing figure of a
knight in armour.
South aisle wall: Tomb to Fleix Buckley. Died 1823. Grey and white marble. Greek
Revival style with pediment top, scrolls and cill palmettes, with drapery over
the stele and an ivy leaf garland around the central inscription.
Andrew Ramsay Kerr. Died 1799. Grey marble obelisk on rectangular plinth containing
the inscription , guttae below and crest to top. Inscribed "NOLLEKENS F".
Agnes Hamilton. Died 1772. Chest tomb on lion's paws, brown marble on grey marble
base and all brackets. White marble oval urn with fluting and scroll band.
Cartouche crest on apron below.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp163-4
Listing NGR: TQ1078459741
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.