Description: 2-16, the Green
Date Listed: 16 November 1984
English Heritage Building ID: 286738
OS Grid Reference: TQ0931862403
OS Grid Coordinates: 509318, 162403
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3502, -0.4316
TQ 0962 BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE GREEN, THE
10/159 Nos. 2 to 16(even)
Almshouse row. Circa 1912 by Sir Aston Webb. Red brick with brown brick dressings
and banding, plain tiled roofs with crow-stepped stacks to ends, 6 further stacks to
centre with blue brick bands to tops. Symmetrical. 1 storey with 4 projecting bays
either side of arcged, gabled and bracketed central passage with arched opening in
the gable. Tripartite sash windows in projecting square bays with quasi-pilaster
surrounds breaking up through billeted eaves of main roof. Recessed porches with
flights of steps up to half-glazed doors to sides.
Whiteley Village was provided by William Whiteley of Whiteley's stores for thrifty
old folk and was laid out on an octagonal plan by Frank Atkinson, employing
leading architects of the day.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp520-1.
Listing NGR: TQ0931862403
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.