Description: Chapel of Ease, 11 Yards West of Church of St Mark
Date Listed: 16 November 1984
English Heritage Building ID: 286895
OS Grid Reference: TQ0938362712
OS Grid Coordinates: 509383, 162712
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3530, -0.4306
TQ 0962 BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE OCTAGON ROAD
10/325 Chapel of Ease, 11
yards west of Church
of St. Mark.
Chapel of ease. 1912 by Sir Walter Tapper. Rendered brick with ashlar dressings
and plinth, plain tiled roof. Rectangular. 5 bays, 3 to east and 2 to west of
gabled,stone-paved arched passage. Lancet windows alternating with buttresses
on north and south sides. Crucifix inscribed into render in gables. Ribbed doors
facing each other on east and west sides of passage. Figure of Christ on east end.
Whiteley Village was provided by William Whiteley of Whiteley's stores for thrifty
old folk and was laid out on an octagonal plan by Frank Atkinson, employing leading
architects of the day.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp520-1.
Listing NGR: TQ0938362712
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.