If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 14 August 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 286972
OS Grid Reference: TQ1291958444
OS Grid Coordinates: 512919, 158444
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3139, -0.3812
TQ 15NW BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE STOKE ROAD
8/403 Church of St. Mary
Church of outstanding importance. Late C7 south wall and apse, C12 nave with C13
chancel. Norbury Chapel to north c1490. Restored in 1866 by Ford and Hesketh.
Flint and stone with roman tiles to south wall, flint with stone dressings to remainder.
Plain tiled roofs with copper weathervane on tower. Nave with north aisle, south
porch and tower to north west. Chancel to east with Norbury Chapel to north. 2 stage
tower with recessed panels to first stage, corbel band to base of spire and clock
face to north side under open wooden bellchamber. Trefoil arched windows to north
side of church and stone dressed lancet windows to south.
Interior: 3 bay nave arcade to north with pointed arches, slightly chamfered, on simple
square and scalloped capitals and round piers. Restored Victorian chancel arch to 2
bay chancel, with quadripartite rib vaulting of c 1250. Original window splays on
south side adjusted to size of vaulting bays with dog-tooth band between rolls of
transverse arch. Norbury Chapel to north contains fragments of old apse, late
Perpendicular windows and a fireplace on the north wall, a rare feature in a pre-
reformation chapel. Blocked Thegns door to former gallery on south wall of nave, the
earliest English example .
Fittings: C13 arched Piscina in south chancel wall. Jacobean pulpit given by Sir
Francis Vincent in 1620: Heptagonal body with souding board suspended from elaborate
worught iron ties, standing on central column with seven wooden volutes leading to
seven monster finials. Lectern: English eagle on Baroque barley-sugar stem. Simple
C17 communion rails-c1630. C13 oak chest. Mid C15 Altar painting- Flemish Annunciation.
North Italian limestone statue of Madonna c 1500.
Stained glass: East window- Series from Costessey Hall , Norfolk, in central light,
outer panels from Cassiobury. Amongst the nave windows are French roundels of c1510.
C15 English King and further C15 and C16 glass in chancel and Norbury Chapel.
Paintings: East wall of chancel. C13 fragments of Adoration of the Lamb.
Monuments: over south door: Mary Jane Phillips. Died 1843. Black and white marble
obelisk with draped female figure by E Galfin.
Norbury Chapel: Built to commemorate the victory at the Battle of Bosworth and contains
many fine monuments , including : North Wall- To Sir Francis Vincent. Died 1735,
monument 1762. White and polychrome marble. Aedicular with broken pediment and oval
urns to centre of pediment, coat of arms on curved apron below. South Wall arcade:
Thomas Lyfield. Died 1592. Flesh coloured alabaster , black and gilt decoration with
brass plate. Rectangular panel with cill and hood mouldings (engraved) and strapwork
surround to crowning coat of arms. Also brass to Ellen Bray. Dated 1516 with figure
in swaddling clothes. Arch between chancel and chapel: Brass to Anne Norbury. Died
1464. Standing figure 15 inches high with eight children at her feet. East wall of
chapel: Sir John Norbury . Died 1521. Marble and gilt wall plate with broken pediment
containing strapwork coat of arms. Central niche with flanking pilasters containing
keneeling figure of the knight. Tombs to Lady Sarah Vincent and Sir Thomas Vincent.
Died 1608 and 1613. Fine lifesize painted effigies lying on their sides under crested
canopies with panelled responds. Profile relief figures in plinth with strapwork
decoration. The tomb of Sir Thomas contains the effigy of his wife Jane lying below,
Chancel: Brass to Sir John D'Abernon, died 1277. The oldest English brass.,6 feet 6inche
long. Knight in armour, full face, carrying a lance and shield, the shield enamelled
blue on copper. Sir John D'Abernon (his son) Died 1327. Figure of Knight 5 foot
long under ogee canopy with lion to his feet.
The Church of St. Mary is one of the very few seignorial churches to have survived
from Saxon origins and still display the succeeding developments.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp465-9.
THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL JOURNAL VOL. CXVIII. The church of St. Mary. Stoke D',ibernon.
By C.A. Raleigh Radford. 1963.
Listing NGR: TQ1291958444
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.