Description: Chatley Semaphore Tower
Date Listed: 14 August 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 286982
OS Grid Reference: TQ0894258506
OS Grid Coordinates: 508942, 158506
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3152, -0.4382
TQ 05 NE BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE TELEGRAPH HILL
374/7/413 Chatley Semaphore
Tower (Formerly listed
as Semaphore House,
Semaphore tower. 1822; restored after fire-damage 1989. Red brick in Flemish bond; stone coping to parapet of tower hiding flat roof; hipped Welsh slate roof to porch and kitchen wing; brick chimneys. Octagonal tower of 5 storeys with basement; square porch on north side; kitchen wing of one-storey and basement, one bay, on south side. Tower: deep plinth; plat band over ground floor and below parapet; alternate faces of tower recessed; windows to entrance and alternate sides, the rear side having stack and other sides blind windows. Windows have 1989 12-pane sashes, projecting ashlar cills and guaged brick arches. Rising from roof, 1989 replica semaphore mast. Porch, up flight of 5 replacement stone steps with plain railings, has 1989 6-panel door and side-windows. Kitchen wing: 6-pane 1989 basement windows; 12-pane sash on west side; 1989 door on gable end; rebuilt impost band and brickwork above. Interior: gutted by fire 1984 and restored. One re-installed original fireplace (in "parlour").
The tower went out of use as a signalling tower in 1847, after which it was used as domestic accomodation.
An unusually fine example of the early-C19 telegraph-signalling stations and the only surviving tower type.
Listing NGR: TQ0894258506
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.