Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 14 August 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 287001
OS Grid Reference: TQ1337068375
OS Grid Coordinates: 513370, 168375
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4031, -0.3716
TQ 16NW BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE WALTON ROAD
2/432 Church of St. Peter
Church. C15 tower,remainder of church 1843. Tower of ragstone and flint in
chequerboard pattern, yellow brick with stone dressings to remainder, plain tiled
roofs. 3 stage battlemented tower to west with stair turret on south east corner,
nave and north aisle with south porch and chancel to east. 2-light trefoil head
windows to nave, 2-light windows to top of tower, lancet windows in deep reveals
below. West door (now disused) arched under flat hood moulding with foliage carving
to spandrels. C20 door in south porch.
Interior: 3 bay nave arcade on octagonal piers with moulded capitals to north,
hammer beam roof with angel carving. Simple moulded tower and chancel arches.
Fittings: C19 pews. C15 stone font , octagonal with quatrefoil panels. Fine
Jacobean pulpit, panelled oak with back board and tester.
Mounuments: North chancel wall . 3 brasses to Thomas Brende 1564. 2 shields above
rectangular inscription panel. South aisle wall: to Hon . George Cranfield Berkeley
1818. Admiral . Stone,black ground with white stone inscription plate. Drapery
behind and coat of arms above.
Listing NGR: TQ1337068375
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.