Description: 1,3 and 5, West Avenue
Date Listed: 16 November 1984
English Heritage Building ID: 287007
OS Grid Reference: TQ0932262465
OS Grid Coordinates: 509322, 162465
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3508, -0.4315
TQ 0962 BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE WEST AVENUE
10/429 Nos. 1, 3 and 5
Almshouse row. Circa 1912 by Frank Atkinson. Red brick with hipped plain tiled
roofs and 2 centre ridge stacks. Single storey. 5 bays with 2 casements under
gauged heads in 2nd & 4th bays. Recessed cambered head openings with stone keystones
to outer bays, further casement window in rear wall of recess. Central opening
with moulded brick surround, ashlar jeystone and cornice band containing further
window. Panelled doors to left side of porch. Bay set back to left end containing
a further two windows. Lantern with sphere finial to left end of main block.
Whiteley Village was provided by William Whiteley of Wihiteley's stores for thrifty
old folk and was laid out on an octagonal plan by Frank Atkinson, employing leading
architects of the day.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS 0E ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp520-1.
Listing NGR: TQ0932262465
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.