Description: Mole Cottage
Date Listed: 28 February 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 287035
OS Grid Reference: TQ1083259834
OS Grid Coordinates: 510832, 159834
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3268, -0.4107
TQ 15 NW BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE CHURCH STREET
House Dated 1645, and set end on to street; later full-height single bay extension on
north, also set end on to street. Timber framed; roughcast cladding, front elevation
with fake timber framing to upper floors, above ground floor of painted brick. Plain
clay tile roof with decorative bargeboard to street gable; large brick stack.
Originally two bay cottage, with north hearth room and south service room, and two
rooms over. Front elevation with paired C19 or early C20 window on ground floor;
C19 six-light rectangular bay window with hipped roof of shaped tiles on first floor;
two-light attic window. Later additions on west and east.
Interior: the C17 timber frame is exposed internally, especially in east wall
at ground and first floors and in end and middle trusses; corner tension braces;
mortices for diamond mullions to window or windhole opening in east wall of former
service room; clasped purlin roof with windbraces, old planked doors; north fire-
place to ground and first floors. The date 1645 and initials WK scratched on a
ground floor timber in east wall. WK may stand for William King, a draper, who left
property to his son-in-law, Gerald Winstanley, who had set up a community on common
land, first at St Georges Hill and then at Little Heath in 1649.
Listing NGR: TQ1079959827
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.