Description: Numbers 13 and 15 with Attached Screen Wall
Date Listed: 25 September 1989
English Heritage Building ID: 287058
OS Grid Reference: TQ0943762321
OS Grid Coordinates: 509437, 162321
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3494, -0.4299
TQ 09 62 ELMBRIDGE SOUTH AVENUE
(east side) Whitley
10/451 Nos 13 and 15 and attached
Two almshouses flats with attached screen wall. c.1912. Red brick in Flemish
bond with plain tile roof. Square on plan; 2 storeys, 2 x 2 bays with 1st
floor porch on north side and screen wall linking the building to No 11 (q.v.)
Plinth. Wooden cross-windows with casements. Ground floor: each bay has keyed
elliptical arch linked by impost string, left arch opening into internal porch
with window and door (to No 13) on right; right arch with window. Platt band.
2 lst-floor windows. Coved eaves. Swept pyramidal roof with ball on cushion
finial. External stack to right side. On left side, flight of stone steps
with iron balustrade leading to lst-floor porch which has pilaster to left
angle, arch as before, door (to No 15) in right side and roof hipped on left.
Screen wall attached to porch has round arch and stone coping to top of wall
which ramps down from either end. Left return: blind arch to porch; 1-light
1st floor window on right. Right return: stack flanked by windows on each
floor, those on ground floor with flat brick arches.
Whiteley Village was provided by William Whiteley of Whiteley Stores for thrifty
old folk and was laid out on an octagonal plan by Frank Atkinson, employing
leading architects of the day.
N. Pevsner, Buildings of England, Surrey (1971), pp.520.1.
Listing NGR: TQ0943762321
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.