Description: Frimley Park Mansion
Date Listed: 19 July 1984
English Heritage Building ID: 287082
OS Grid Reference: SU8758358411
OS Grid Coordinates: 487583, 158411
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3181, -0.7446
SU 85NE CAMBERLEY & FRIMLEY FORMER U.D. FRIMLEY ROAD
7/13 Frimley Park Mansion
Country house, now Army Cadet training centre. 1760 with C20 extensions to street
front (west). For Sir Henry Tichbourne. Whitewashed stucco with hipped slate
roofs. Two storeys and attics, under 4 flat roof dormers on entrance front, 3
storeys on right hand return front (south) former entrance front of 1760. Plinth
below, plat band over ground floor, cornice over first floor to base of balustrade
and parapet on entrance front (west), with rendered multiple stacks to left end,
and right of centre. Entrance front (west). Regular with 4 bay recessed centre
and angle bays rising through two storeys to ends with channeled rustication to
corners. Glazing bar sash windows throughout with doubled casement doors to angle
bays; wrought iron balconies across first floor. Doubled panelled doors to
right of centre under pedimented Doric porch. Two bays set back to left end
with blocked windows. Right hand return front (south): Former entrance front
7 bay front with central three bays in the shallow pedimented block. Glazing
bar sash windows with central first floor venetian style window in arched recessed
panel. Central blind arch above in pediment enclosing swag. Flat hood Doric
frontispiece to centre of ground floor.
Interior:- Reputedly some C18 fragments surviving. Also late C17 staircase
from previous house and Jacobean panelling. Interior not inspected.
Latrobe is known to have worked at the house in c1780.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p.248
Listing NGR: SU8758358411
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.