Description: The Old Mill
Date Listed: 19 July 1984
English Heritage Building ID: 287116
OS Grid Reference: SU8963456194
OS Grid Coordinates: 489634, 156194
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2978, -0.7157
SU 85NE CAMBERLEY & FRIMLEY U.D. OLD GUILDFORD ROAD
The old Mill
Mill, converted with house attached. Mill tower late C18, house by Frank Abbot
1914, altered on garden front for his daughter Grace Willis in 1928. Brown and
red brick with sandstone dressings to house; plain tiled roofs, conical over
tower, hipped roofs, swept over main house. Tower to right end with L shaped
house attached to left, gable end wing projecting to front left forming courtyard
in re-entrant angle. Two storeys with multiple ridge stacks, arcaded panelling
on shafts and oversailing tops to stacks to right of centre and left end;
quadruple diagonal stacks to left of centre with end stack on projecting wings.
Regular fenestration, 2 leaded casements to first floor right of entrance front,
2 further first floor windows to right hand side of projecting wing. Arched
recessed porch to right end with double studded doors under billeted lintel.
Garden front: Two storeys with attics under central flat roof dormer and in
gables to left and right of centre, Regular front with two storey angle bays
to either ends under brick parapets with diamond patterning. Stone dressed
mullion and transomed windows with leaded lights, four 3-light across first
floor, centre light arched on first floor window in right hand angle bay. Double
glazed leaded doors to centre under arched head with flanking margin lights.
Further arched door to left in brick porch to Mill tower. Central stone plaque
with gilded decoration.
THE WINDMILLS OF SURREY AND INNER LONDON - K.G. Farries and M.T. Mason. 1906
p.101, i11. 39.
Listing NGR: SU8963456194
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.