Church of St Peter and St Paul, Lingfield
Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Date Listed: 11 June 1958
English Heritage Building ID: 287404
OS Grid Reference: TQ3888943775
OS Grid Coordinates: 538889, 143775
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1764, -0.0145
Location: Church Road, Lingfield, Surrey RH7 6AH
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
Explore more of the area around Lingfield, Surrey at Explore Britain.
TQ 34SE LINGFIELD C.P. CHURCH ROAD
9/163 Church of St. Peter
ll/6/58 and St.Paul
Church. C14. Tower and some C14 walling to south and west, remainder of church
rebuilt in 1431 by Sir Reginald Cobham; vestry added in 1490;restored in 1846/7
and in C20. Random coursed sandstone to Tower and older walling, larger square
coursed sandstone blocks to remainder. Original firestone dressings to windows
and doors largely replaced with sandstone except around doors to the undercroft.
Horsham slab roofs with some plain tile patching, wooden shingled broach spire
to Tower. Nave with aisle to north and short aisle to south; chancel to east
with north Lady Chapel, Chapel and vestry to the south; Tower to south west.
Stone plinth and offset buttresses, diagonal on east and west ends. Half octagonal
rood stair turret to north aisle wall at Junction of nave and chancel; mass dials
survive on south wall. C15 Perpendicular style windows with stone tracery, large
window to the east and west window of north aisle two centred with hood moulding
ending in carved human head and grotesque stops; carved head at apex of arch.
3 stage tower with quatrefoil band to top and large angle buttresses. Trefoil
head louvred, lancets to each stage, south door to ground floor stage in C19
renewed surround. West doors under pointed arched surround.
Interior:- Four bay nave arcades on piers of quatrefoil section, pointed arches
under hood mouldings to above. Similar 3 bay arcade to chancel and chapels, 3rd
bay blocked to south. Four centred chancel arch resting on westernmost piers of
aisle arcades and forms centre bay of 3 bay arcade running north-south. Flattened
barrel vault ceilings on moulded wall plates.
Stained glass:- Some C15 glass fragments in south chancel window. Remainder C19.
Fittings:- Fine set of late Mediaeval fittings. Font - Octagonal stone bowl on
stem, panelled stem with quatrefoil and human head decorations. Crocketed ogee
wooden cover. Octagonal panelled wooden pulpit, panelled with arcade decoration.
C15 screens between chancel and chapels; Single light ogee head panels with
crocket decoration. C15 misericords, 11 seats with 8 misereries surviving -
a bishop, the Cobham rms, a rose and two heads.
Monuments - North Chancel Chapel:- Table Tomb in north east corner, reputedly
dedicated to Sir Thomas Cobham and Lady Anne Cobham. Grey and brown stone with
panelled sides containing blank shields and flat lid. North east wall: Marble
tablet to Anthony Farringdon. Died 1730. Rectangular tablet with flanking scrolls,
crowning urn, and floral carving in apron. Table Tomb on north wall to Harold,
Second Lord Cobham, Baron of Starborough. Died 1403. Firestone with purbeck marble
top, panelled sides and inlaid brass figure on lid. Wall monument above. To
Elizabeth Farringdon. Died 1743. Grey and white stone Aedicular tablet with
flanking Doric pilasters, crowning pediment and scrolls all on gadrooned type base.
North Chancel Chapel - south wall: Table Tomb to Reginald, first Baron Cobham of
Starborough. 1361. Caen stone with firestone effigy. Billeted decoration over
painted quatrefoil panels on moulded plinth. Painted and gilt effigy in armour
with feet resting on saracen and his head resting on helmet; flanking angels and
Chancel:- Table Tomb to Sir Reginald Third Lord Cobham of Starborough and his wife
Anne Bardolph. Circa 1450. Firestone with alabaster effigies. Quatrefoil panelled
sides on moulded plinth with painted shields. Two effigies, Lord Cobham in plate
Armour, his feet on a lion, head on a Moors head. Lady Cobham in widow's attire
with Wyvern at her feet and angels to her head.
South Wall of Chancel - Baroque Cartouche. Dedicated to Francis Howard. Died 1695.
Marble with fine swags and garlands; cherubs to apron. Further cartouche to Mary
Howard. Died 1718. In similar style.
Brasses:- Reputedly the finest set in Surrey. Two half length figures in chancel
to John Swetecote. Died 1469 and James Ve1don. Died 1458. Further brasses to unknown
girl. Died circa, 1440, John Wyehe. Died 1445 and John Knoyll. Died 1503. Further
brasses in North Chapel to - Lady Eleanor Culpepper. Died 1420. Female figure under
canopy; Lady of the Cobham Family C15. Brass to Katerina Stoket.Died 1420, and fine
brass of John Hadresham, figure in armour, 1417. Now on north wall formerly on
floor is incised figure circa 1530 made up of encaustic tiles.
PEVSNER:BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, Surrey (1971) pp. 347-349.
MANNING AND BRAY: HISTORY OF SURREY (1806) Vol. II. pp. 357-359. 62.
Listing NGR: TQ3888843780
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.