Description: The Old Vicarage and Old Coach House Wing
Date Listed: 24 April 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 28807
OS Grid Reference: ST6646276036
OS Grid Coordinates: 366462, 176036
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4823, -2.4843
5118 EX-MANGOTSFIELD UD ST JAMES'S PLACE
(The Old Vicarage)
and Coach house wing
(formerly listed as
ST 67 NE 2/198 Coach house wing)
1770s or later. Well proportioned red brick house with freestone dressings.
Modern double-saddle pantile roof, end gables with copings, brick stacks with
stone caps. Symmetrical 3 storey front. Three windows, sashes with glazing
bars, in reveals, flat stone heads with keystones and stepped voussoirs. Central
semi-circular headed door opening, moulded surround, keystone, imposts, pilasters,
open pediment on moulded brackets. Six-panelled door under traceried fanlight.
Channelled end pilasters, sill band to first floor windows, moulded cornice,
parapet with coping. Two storey wing to right with coping, hipped modern pantile
roof, 2 windows, sashes in semi-circular headed openings with rusticated stone
architraves having stone emblems above keys. Door below with stone emblem
above key. Forward projecting coach-house wing has hipped slate roof and wide
segment headed opening with rusticated stone surround in north elevation.
Exposed pipes to front. Lead rainwater head to rear. Hipped 2 storey wing
to rear with large ribbed chimney (circa 1850s). Interior: sweeping circular
stairs to rear with 2 balusters per tread and shaped tread-ends.
Listing NGR: ST6646276036
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.