If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Date Listed: 14 June 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 288808
OS Grid Reference: TQ0883352643
OS Grid Coordinates: 508833, 152643
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2626, -0.4416
Explore more of the area around West Horsley, Surrey at Explore Britain.
TQ 05SE WEST HORSLEY C.P. EPSOM ROAD
5/227 Church of St. Mary
14/6/67 The Virgin
Church. C12 Tower and west wall of nave, north aisle of c.1210, widened in 1869.
South aisle and chapel C16. Rendered rubble stone with chalk and Bath stone angle
quoins, flint rubble on tower with wood shingled broach spire, plain tile roof.
Nave and chancel with porch to north, tower and further porch to west, vestry to
Tower:- 3 stages, first and second stages slightly offset, spire 4 sided on tower
and octagonal to upper parts. Lancets to top stage of tower.
Diagonal buttresses to east end and north aisle. Three lancet windows to north
side of chancel with further,curvilinear,window under hood moulding. C19 north
aisle window. East Window - triple C13 lancets with attached shafts. One arched
C15 window to south side under moulded hood with coved surround and deep rectilinear
ogee arch tracery.
Porch to west:- wood on low flint walls with cusped bargeboards. Arched door.
Further gabled porch to north with arched studded doors to inner side, and open
pierced doors to outside.
Interior:-4 bay nave arcades, that to north with moulded circular piers, capitols
and abaci, and arches with unmoulded soffits. Roll mouldings to edges and hood
mould over. Octagonal piers to south with half-octagonal responses. Collar beam
roof to nave and aisles, panelled roof to chancel. Simple chamfered arch C13 with
chamfer bases and abaci. Organ loft to south behind two lancets. Plain roll string
course along east half of chancel, below the windows.
Fittings:- largely C19. However, C16 rood screen of 12 tracery bays, four over
centre openings retaining double doors and moulded cornice. East wall of nave C14/
15. Nativity in Alabaster. English. Simple altar rails with turned balusters. C19
reredos across east end.
Font:- C13 retooled bowl with tapering sides on modern stem with central pillar
surround by 4 small columns. C19 panelled oak pulpit. C14 oak chest. West wall
painting, now faded remains of C13 St Christopher to north of west door, Passion
cycle to south. Faint traces of paintings on south wall. C17 brass chandelier to
chancel. C13 glass medalions in north and central lancets of east end.
Monuments:- South Wall -To James Kendall. Died 1750 by Nicholas Read (pupil of
Roubiliac). Grey and white marble. Stele ground with attached, asymetrically, draped
urn. Apron below with rose tree. South wall of South Chapel - wall monument to
Sir John and Lady Penelope Nicholas. Died 1704. Light and dark marble. Central
arch motif with purple stone urn under gadrooned lid and gilt frame finial. Panelled
pilasters support floral finials over entablature and central crest with flanking
scrolls placed on top. Winged cherub's head to crown of arch. Apron of pedestal with
flower and cherub's head carving over large gadrooned plinth with inscribed and
panelled base. Flanking life size putti lean on the gadrooning, standing in front of
dark grey obelisks. East wall of South Chapel - massive wall monument to
Sir Edward Nicholas, died 1699, attributed to Grinling Gibbons - white marble,
aedicular type with central segmental, broken pediment with projecting inscription
panel flanked by Barley-sugar columns set back. These are in turn flanked by floral
scrolls, composite columns and piers, gadrooned urns on pilaster piers over the
entablature. Acanthus leaf scrolls and corbelled supports below on moulded bases.
East wall of South Chapel. Monument to Susan Brisco. Died 1636. Aedicular. Brown
stone with black stone inscription panel and gilding. Broken segmental pediment
over, on fluted, Doric type columns. Central cartouche Coat of Arms to pediment,
strapwork, corbels and apron decoration below. C14 monument to a priest - possible
Ralph de Berners. Recumbent figure under crocketed ogee arch, figure with praying
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p.5ll-2
V.C.H. Surrey(1967 Ed) Vol III p.355.
Listing NGR: TQ0883352643
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.