Description: Rodboro Buildings
Date Listed: 31 July 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 288865
OS Grid Reference: SU9940749558
OS Grid Coordinates: 499407, 149558
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2366, -0.5775
SU 94NE GUILDFORD BRIDGE STREET
Factory. Circa 1900, extended in circa 1903. Brown brick with red brick dressings
on steel frame, with rendered cladding and risers on the ground floor. Slate
roofs, hipped on the left hand range and with parallel, part-glazed gabled ranges
to right. Rectangular plan on an island site with the north east corner curving
around the junction of Bridge and Onslow Streets. Three storeys with gable-lit
attics; stacks to front and rear at junction of ranges. Bridge Street facade:-
double gable-end range of 12 bays to right with giant end pilasters under moulded
caps and further giant pilasters to centre of each range. Brick dentil band to
gables and brick string courses on first and ground floors, cornice to eaves.
Keyed, brick-edged rounds to each gable, four fixed windows with glazing-bars, the
centre four panes pivoting, to each gable on first and second floors. Gauged brick
soldier arches over each window. Original ground floor showroom windows now blocked
and central pilaster piers truncated. Five bay curved range wrapping around the
corner to left with pier buttresses articulating between bays. Each bay with two
windows on each floor, moulded brick eaves and blocked ground floor fenestration.
Further five-bay range to left facing Onslow Street with similar articulation and
fenestrations; the ground floor piers retain square floral panels in the capitals.
Rear elevation:- Irregular fenestration with cambered heads to windows. Seven
windows across both floors to right, of varying widths, 9 windows across the
gabled ranges. Blocked doors and windows on the ground floor. The factory
originally accommodated the manufacturing plant and equipment for the production
of touring cars, motor buses and commercial vehicles, including the fire engine,
designed by the Dennis Company. It was also used for experimental work and the
most important development was the Dennis "worm-driven" rear axle. The showrooms
of the Company originally occupied the ground floor, the manufacturing being on
the upper floors, and thus the building was one of the first, if not the first,
purpose-built car factories in England and the world. The company archives are
deposited at Guildford Muniment Room and original building plans are held by the
Guildford Borough Council.
"Why Dennis and How" (Guildford 1945) by R. Twelvetrees.
pp 60 - 74 "Factory Facts" and ill. opposite p.61.
Listing NGR: SU9940749558
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.