Date Listed: 1 May 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 288962
OS Grid Reference: SU9978049470
OS Grid Coordinates: 499780, 149470
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2357, -0.5721
SU 9949SE GUILDFORD HIGH STREET
8/98 No. 128 (Tunsgate)
Former Cornmarket, now pedestrian gateway. 1818 by Henry Garling, rear wall re-
built and front columns re-sited in 1933. Portland stone front with ashlar inner
walls and brick tile rear wall. Tuscan portico with paired columns on pedestals
supporting pediment above with Guildford Coat of Arms, cornucopia and agricultural
symbols in tympanum pilasters behind columns. Rusticated inner walls with
central arched panel with impost mouldings. Square windows on left hand wall
flank the arch, those on the right hand wall are blind. Door to centre of left
hand side under cornice hood. Rear elevation of 3 arches.
Photographs in N.M.R.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.285.
M. ALEXANDER: GUILDFORD AS IT WAS (1978)
Listing NGR: SU9979649460
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.