Description: Abbots Cottage and Priory Cottage (Formerly Listed As Priory House)
Priory House, Abbots Cottage an
Date Listed: 1 May 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 289045
OS Grid Reference: SU9929748445
OS Grid Coordinates: 499297, 148445
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2266, -0.5793
1688/3/180 PORTSMOUTH ROAD
Abbots Cottage and Priory Cottage (For
merly listed as Priory House)
Priory House, Abbots Cottage and Prior
(Formerly listed as:
Formerly a public house, now three dwellings. The buildings now known as Priory House and Abbots Cottage are shown on a 1787 map, Priory Cottage is an early C19 addition.
MATERIALS: Brick, mainly painted or roughcast, on plinth, with slate roof and brick chimneystacks.
PLAN: Priory House is a two storey, three bay building set endwise to the road with attached Abbots Cottage to the south of lower elevation and one storey Priory Cottage attached to the southwest end forming an L-shaped wing.
EXTERIOR: Priory House is of painted brick with hipped slate roof with overhanging eaves and two tall brick chimneystacks to the rear. The north east or entrance front has three windows; nine-pane sashes to the first floor and twelve-pane sashes in set in arched headed recesses to the ground floor. The central doorcase has a round-headed arch with keystone in gauged brick head (now painted), traceried fanlight and panelled double doors. The south east side has one sash, the north west side has two nine-pane sash windows to the first floor and a four-light canted bay on the ground floor. There is also an angled corner.
Abbots Cottage is of lower elevation than the adjoining Priory House, of whitewashed roughcast over smooth plinth with slate roof with scalloped wooden bargeboards and projecting end chimneystack. The north west front has two six-pane sash windows in round-headed panels to the first floor and twelve-pane sash windows to the ground floor. The south west side has a casement window to the first floor and a tripartite curved bay with multi-pane sashes to the ground floor under the gable. The right side has a roof sloping to the ground floor which has a half-glazed door set in reveals and a twelve-pane sash window.
Priory Cottage is a one storey brick range, mostly painted except for the south west side, with hipped slate roof and a brick end chimneystack. The north west side has a four-panelled door, the top part glazed, set in reveals and a twelve-pane sash. The south west side has no windows and the south east side has four sash windows, some C20 replacements.
INTERIOR: Priory House is reported to retain a central staircase with handrail and stick balusters but no original fireplaces.
HISTORY: The Turnpike Proposal map of 1787 has the outline shape of the current Priory House and Abbot's Cottage recorded as the "Anchor and Hope " public house. The building was situated on the main thoroughfare between Guildford and Portsmouth and near a ferry on the Wey and Arun Navigation. Priory Cottage is shown on the 1870 Guildford town map.
The First, Second and Third edition Ordnance Survey maps show all three properties with Priory House and Abbots Cottage shown as a public house. Priory Cottage may have been service accommodation or stabling to the public house.
1787 Turnpike Proposal map in Surrey History Centre.
Mark Sturley. "The Breweries and Public Houses of Guildford" 1990 and 1995. Guildford Pubs."
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: An externally little altered late C18 building, known to be a public house in 1787 with early C19 service or stabling wing.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.