Description: Castle Arch
Date Listed: 1 May 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 289059
OS Grid Reference: SU9969549249
OS Grid Coordinates: 499695, 149249
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2337, -0.5734
SU 9949 SE GUILDFORD QUARRY STREET
8/14 Castle Arch
1/5/53 (Formerly listed
as Castle Arch and Walls
adjoining on South: and the
Guildford Museum and wall
adjoining on East)
See Also Castle Hill.
House, now museum and headquarters of the Surrey Archaelogical Society. Circa 163O and incorporating .id C13 gate tower walls to front with rear wing dated 1672 and further extensions of 1911 by Ralph Neville. Timber framed, clad in red/brown brick and with tile hung gables on Castle Hill elevation, chalk and
flint rubble on main gable end facing Quarry Street, dark red/brown brick on C2O
range to left. Plain tiled roofs of varying heights dropping down on Quarry Street side to flat lead roof over C20 extensions. Hall and end cross wings plan with original house at right angles to Quarry Street and facing Castle Hill, extended to left along Quarry Street by Neville. Two storeys and attics in gabled block at junction of Quarry and Castle Hill, two storeys to right and single storey to left along Quarry Street.
Castle Hill elevation:- Very tall, star section stack to right of centre under corbelled top, projecting gabled wings to ends, that to left larger. Plat band across ground floor of recessed central range and moulded plinth below. Three-
light attic casment to left in gable with larger window on first floor and casement below on ground floor. One 3-light window on each floor of right hand gable end. Mixed fenestration across central range with one small casement window on each floor to right and two glazing-bar sash windows on each floor to centre. Old studded door to left of centre up two stops.
Quarry Street elevation:- Tall gable end range to right with projecting square bay window under hipped roof rising through ground and first floors 4-light
attic window under tile hood above in tile hung gable. 12-pane glazing-bar sash fenestration below in square bay with two windows on each floor in front face and one narrow 4-pane sash on each return side. Pent-roofed range to left, part
rebuilt on ground floor with projecting museum sign attached and large stacks to
rear at junction of wings. Single storey range to left with shaped gables over and projecting canopy across. Fixed display windows with some decoratively glazed casements flanking Museum entrance to left.
Interior:- Complicated floor levels. Some bracing and timber frame exposed in upper floors. c18 turned baluster stair in old range. Two fine fireplaces in
upper rooms of gabled range at junction of streets; that in the Margary Room is of clunch with cornice mantle over and projecting keystone block to hollow- moulded, centre arched fireplace surround. Small shields decorate the spandrels
and pedestalled humans flank the fireplace, one nude, the other in classical dress. The house was built for Francis Carter, or possibly his son, who purchased and altered the keep at Guildford Castle (q.v.) in an attempt to convert it into a house. The right hand gabled wing on the Castle Hill elevation falls within the boundary of a Scheduled Ancient Monument, Surrey Monument No.1.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY ( 1971) p.288. M. ALEXANDER: GUILDFORD CASTLE GUIDE ( 1985) . M. ALEXANDER: GUILDFORD AS IT WAS (1978). V.C.H. VOL. III (1967 EDN).
Listing NGR: SU9970449250
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.