Description: Cathedral Church of the Holy Spirit
Date Listed: 16 January 1981
English Heritage Building ID: 289097
OS Grid Reference: SU9853850044
OS Grid Coordinates: 498538, 150044
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2411, -0.5898
GUILDFORD STAG HILL
1/230 Cathedral Church of
16/1/81 the Holy Spirit
Cathedral Church. Designed in 1932/3 by Edward Maufe, foundation stone laid in
1936. Eastern section to crossing completed in 1939, second stage begun in 1948
with the nave inaugurated by 1955; the Cathedral was consecrated in 1961, the
chapter house finished in 1964 and the western garths completed in 1964/5.
Modified gothic style with Arts and Crafts influences. Cruciform plan around a
central crossing tower with half-octagonal end to Lady Chapel at east flanked by
a sacristy and chapterhouse; aisled nave to west with projecting garths to north
and south sides of the west end. Central tower has rebated angles and is crowned
by a large gilt statue of an angel. Further stone sculptures placed on top of
angle mouldings. Two-light, stone-dressed louvred openings on each face at bell
stage with five pairs of small rectangular windows above under plain parapet.
Balcony projections on each face, below louvred openings,with corbelled brick
balustrades across in front of door in central 4-step brick surround and under
cross-shaped keystone. Transepts to north (Queens Chapel) and south each with
three 2-light, stone-dressed windows on east and west sides. Tall 4-light end
windows in deep recesses with cross pattern tracery above. Paired double doors
of bronze, designed by Maufe but executed by Vernon Hill, either side of central
buttress pier on south transept, pier crowned by a figure of St. John the Baptist
by Eric Gill. West front flanked by projecting garths, each with cambered cement
hood over pointed-arched entrances to cloister walks, with carved keystones and
cross decorations on capitals of cloister piers. Three lancet windows on west
end in deep surrounds with piers alternating on stone buttress plinths. Three
paired doors of bronze and glass, engraved by John Hutton. 7 bay north and south
aisles with 2-light, stone-dressed arched windows with Christian virtues carved
on central mullions. Low aisle-like church offices flank chancel with 4 leaded
windows in stone surrounds to each. Bronze door on south aisle approached up a
flight of steps. Roundel window in east gable of chancel with figure of Christ
in Majesty by Anthony Forster to a design of Eric Gill. Angled east end of Lady
Chapel with lancet fenestration alternating with offset buttresses crowned by
statues of the Archangel Gabriel by Alan Collins, St Martha and St Catherine also
by Collins, St Cecilia and Lady Margaret Beaufort by Dennis Huntley.
Interior:- austere plain interior with white plaster rendering and Doulting lime-
stone dressings to narrow deep window splays. Narrow high-vaulted aisles supported
on piers without capitals, transverse arches crossing the vaults. Ambulatory
beyond crossing with knife point arches. Octagonal chapter house parquet floored.
Symbolism of plan:- The baptistry in the south garth at one of the south aisle and
the ciborium at the east end of the aisle symbolises the Christian life from birth
to death. Fittings:- 1950's Maufe designed lamps and narthex carpet. Octagonal
font in baptistry under open fret-work gilt font cover of interlocking dove pattern.
Fish and water carvings on font bowl, coloured marble flooring. Only the third
Anglican Cathedral built in England since the C17.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp.269-70.
Listing NGR: SU9853850044
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.