Description: Disused Reservoir
Date Listed: 4 April 1990
English Heritage Building ID: 289136
OS Grid Reference: SU9989849360
OS Grid Coordinates: 499898, 149360
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2347, -0.5705
SU 9949 SV GUILDFORD PEWLEY HILL
8/260 Disused Reservoir
Underground reservoir, built in 1855 reusing bricks from an earlier House of Correction
to the south of the castle grounds and roofed over in 1886. Externally the
structure comprises brick walling enclosing a triangular site. Along Pewley Hill
is a large wall of red brick with grey headers in English bond probably of reused
bricks with stepped panelled parapet above of c1885 in brown brick. At the corner
the brickwood is in header bond. Along Oxford Terrace the wall is about 9 feet
high of early c19 bricks in Sussex bond incorporating 1 circular iron tier.
The other elevation has c20 brickwork. Internally the reservoir comprises a boat -
shaped structure about 30 feet deep lined in reinforced concrete with 6 bay brick
barrel vaulted roof supported on angled iron supports on brick padstones.
See N.C.C. Barrell "The History of the Guildford Waterworks" 2nd edition 1951
included as an early reservoir of unusual shape and with early use of reinforced
Listing NGR: SU9989849360
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.