Description: Gatton Hall
Date Listed: 31 March 1977
English Heritage Building ID: 289326
OS Grid Reference: TQ2729652942
OS Grid Coordinates: 527296, 152942
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2614, -0.1770
5/161 GATTON PARK
GATTON PARK Gatton Park
shall be amended to read
TQ 2752 5/161
Built or rebuilt by the Fifth Baron Monson between 1830 and 1841 and contained
the celebrated Marble Hall, designed for Charles IV of Spain and purchased by
Lord Monson in Rome in 1830 for £10,000. Sir Jeremiah Colman added a large Corinthian
portico on the north side in 1891. The house was gutted by fire in 1934 and only
the portico and the extreme west end of the servants' wing survived. It was rebuilt
in neo-Georgian style and is included only for the portico: prostyle Hexastyle
Corinthian portico embracing the projecting centre bay of the house with 2 columns
at either side and joining side wings which have Corinthian Order with flat pilasters.
No stylobate: the path runs through. Modillioned and dentilled cornice and pediment.
Listing NGR: TQ2729652942
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.