Description: The Old Town Hall
Date Listed: 19 October 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 289342
OS Grid Reference: TQ2531450249
OS Grid Coordinates: 525314, 150249
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2377, -0.2063
There is also a scheduled monument, Reigate Castle, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
The Old Town Hall
TQ 2550 SW 12/1 19.10.51.
Built about 1728. 2 storeys, 4 windows facing north and south, 2 windows facing east and west. The west front is curved. Red brick and grey headers. Built on an open arcade of 4 round-headed arches on the north and south, 2 similar arches on the east and 3 on the west, of which the west arches, the westernmost arch of the south front and all but the easternmost arch of the north front have been filled in. Brick stringcourse above the arcade. The windows on the 1st floor have segmental heads and glazing bars intact. Brick modillion cornice, and parapet. Brick chimneys were added at the angles in 1853, which have not improved the proportions. The roof is flat. In the centre of this was placed in 1811 the slate lantern from the adjoining Clock Tower, which was then demolished. This has no relation to the rest of the building. The lantern narrows as it rises and is surmounted by 4 clock faces with a wooden cupola above having a leaden dome containing bells, on top of which is a ball cap and a weather-
Inside the Town Hall, at the east end, stands a red, K6-type telephone kiosk, this type designed 1935 by Sir Giles gilbert Scott. The kiosk was made by the Carron Company, is of cast iron, square on plan with domed roof and has unperforated George VI crowns to top panels and margin glazing to windows and door/telephone number Reigate 242520.
Listing NGR: TQ2531450249
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.