Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 24 July 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 289509
OS Grid Reference: TQ2547159641
OS Grid Coordinates: 525471, 159641
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3220, -0.2008
TQ 25NE HIGH STREET
4/8 (South Side)
24.7.54 Church of All Saints
(Formerly listed under
Church. Late C12 and early C13, restored in 1861 by G E Street. Knapped flint with
stone dressings and plain tile roof. 5 bay aisled nave with north and south chapels
to 3 bay chancel; west tower and north and south porches, north east vestry. Two
stage tower with set back buttresses and shingled broach spire, latter with
weathervane, gilt clock to 3 faces. Nave with leaded dormers under hipped roofs and
gabled timber porches; north door oak. North chancel chapel with Cl5 window in east
end; south chancel chapel rendered and restored by the Lambert family in late C19.
INTERIOR: Nave arcade of two bays on octagonal piers with blocked-out crocket
capitals. Chancel chapels of two bays, octagonal piers; with northern pier with
alternating flat and hollow sides. Tower and chancel arch with slight chamfers.
Octagonal perpendicular font with traceried panels on plinth. Monuments include
tablet in nave east wall to Paul Tracey died 1618, Mrs Elizabeth Till died 1748:
Rococo cartouche on south aisle wall with brackets and pilasters to either side.
Nicholas Lambert died 1755: pilastered aedicular type hanging with garland in the
predella. Wilmot Lambert died 1815: Grecian monument with rising female figure.
PEVNSER: Buildings of England: SURREY 1971 Penguin. pp 102-3.
Listing NGR: TQ2547159641
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.