British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Queen Elizabeth Hospital (Comprising Main Block and Attached Former Nurses Home and Former Wards), Banstead

Description: Queen Elizabeth Hospital (Comprising Main Block and Attached Former Nurses Home and Former Wards)

Grade: II
Date Listed: 29 September 1983
English Heritage Building ID: 289514

OS Grid Reference: TQ2618758028
OS Grid Coordinates: 526187, 158028
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3074, -0.1911

Location: Reigate and Banstead, Surrey SM7 2BT

Locality: Banstead
Local Authority: Reigate and Banstead Borough Council
County: Surrey
Country: England
Postcode: SM7 2BT

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

In the entry for:

(south side)

4/11 Banstead Wood House
(Queen Elizabeth Hospital
for Sick Children)


The entry shall be amended to read:-

(south side)

4/11 Queen Elizabeth Hospital
(comprising main block
29.9.83 and attached former
nurses home and former


House now hospital. 1937-9 by H S Goodhart-Rendel incorporating remains of
house (Banstead Wood) by R Norman Shaw, 1884-90, extensively damaged by fire
1939. Red brick in English bond to ground floor; upper floors tile hung, the
main block with much fish-scale tile. Ward block steel framed with concrete
panels and brick cladding. Plain tile roofs. Main block of 2 storeys with
attic and partial basement has 8-bay garden elevation; to its right a corridor
links main block to 3-storey, 25-bay former ward block; to its rear left, return
range links main block to former nurses' home which is of butterfly plan,
forming corner of rear courtyard, of 3 storeys with attic and 11 first floor
windows on courtyard elevation. Garden elevation: Main block: windows are
wood-framed with moulded mullions and transoms and leaded casements; bays 1-5,
set forward under 3 oversailing gables, have 2-storey canted bay windows to
alternate bays; bays 6 and 7, set back, have a gabled dormer and large set-back
gable; bay 8 is set in line but is gabled and has a 2-storey canted bay windows;
tall cross-ridge stacks with arched panels. Single-storey flat-roofed former
kitchen block on right. Further right, ward block has: each floor set back from
that below, the 2nd floor less wide (21 bays) with balcony rails to upper
floors; the wards were originally open-fronted but in the 1940s the existing
metal-framed doors and windows were inserted; rising out of the rear roof slope
are the hipped roofs of 3 rear wings; water tower at right end, to rear, has
concrete bands, tile-hung stair tower to rear left, and hipped roof with
gablets. Left return range: main block is in same style as garden elevation,
having 3 bays under 2 oversailing gables on right of lateral stack with lower
projecting bay on right. Further left is a lower, 1-storey with attic, 2-bay
block which has half-timbered gables with pebble-dashed infill and which is
probably part of the original Shaw house. To far left is former nurses' home
which has panelled door on right, metal casement windows, and gabled dormers.
Courtyard elevation of former nurses' home has entry at right end and 3rd floor
cornice which rises under pent roof to 3 wide gables (one at left end, 2 at right
end). Courtyard elevation of main block has: entrance bay with decorative ashlar
doorcase to panelled, arched, door, the cornice on fluted columns and supporting
2-storey canted bay window; on left, outskirt with panelled door and wide window;
various gabled dormers and tall ribbed stacks; reused rainwater heads dated 1884.
The Shaw house was built for the Garton family. Goodhard-Rendel's design centred
upon this building, which was to become the administrative block, but the original
house was almost entirely destroyed by fire in 1939 and was subsequently rebuilt
to a design by Goodhard-Rendel. Originally there was to be second ward block
(further to right) and another nurses' home to complete the rear courtyard,
but work was interrupted by war and these were never built.
'The Princess Elizabeth of York Hospital for Children, Banstead Wood', The Architect
and Building News, January 28, 1938, pp 131-3.
'The Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Children, Banstead Wood, Surrey', The Builder,
March 26, 1948, pp 361-5.


4/11 (South Side)
Banstead Wood House
(Queen Elizabeth
Hospital for Sick


House now Hospital. 1884-1890 by R Norman-Shaw with extensive later additions.
Original house brick and tile hung with plain tile roofs and large star-shaped
stocks. 2 storeys and attic under gabled dormers. Asymmetrical, with projecting wing
of 2 bays to the left, having wood mullion and tramsom windows with leaded lights.
Tile hung dormer in re-entrant angle linking with right hand 3 bay wing; mullioned
windows with leaded lights. 3 storey gable front on right hand end with two windows
in angle bay rising through two storeys over main entrance; Doric portico to door,
fluted half columns with dentilled cornices, moulded and rusticated door arch, 6 panel
door with diamond patterning and studs.

Listing NGR: TQ2618758028

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.