Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 17 November 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 289776
OS Grid Reference: TQ0238468642
OS Grid Coordinates: 502384, 168642
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4076, -0.5294
TQ 06 NW THORPE CHURCH APPROACH
6/89 CHURCH OF ST MARY
Church - Chancel arch C12. Nave C13, C14 and C15. Tower C16. Aisles rebuilt
1848. Plan: Chancel and nave of three bays with north and south aisles.
Shallow transepts. Tower at west end. Walls - mixed types of stone, tiled
roofs, brick tower corner buttresses. West side of tower, plain door, stone
surround. Above three-light cusped window with square hood mould over brick
drip mould. Upper window, two-light semicircular headed, louvred crenellated
parapet. South side similar louvred window. North side similar louvred window
and clock face, black with gold numerals (Tucker, London). Bells recast 1958.
Chancel - East window three-lights, C20 glass. Some C14 glass in north windows.
Altar rail formerly gallery front, oak spiral balusters. Two graded sedilia,
ogee arch and dividing column, square hood mould. Piscina and side shelves.
North and south walls each have a single and a double light window. Tombs -
North wall Admiral Townsend 1765, marble inscription panel, flat recessed arch.
Cherub on pedestal with coat of arms and mantling at base. Slate floor slab
1656. Norman chancel arch with C15 traceried openings each side. Rear of arch-
tablet to Michael Harrison 1709, drapes and cherub. Above arch 10 Commandments
painted on two boards. Pulpit C19 octagonal, oak. South transept chapel
dedicated 1485. Nave: Two bays of crown post roof, pointed barrel roof. Double
row of panels pointed. Painted Crucifixion on tympanum. Medieval tiles in
front of organ. South aisle: Piscina and carved niche. North aisle: Tablet
1706 Gideon Travers. Two brass chandeliers. Brasses to Bonde 1578, 1850 and
Denham 1583. One column in north arcade octagonal, C13.
Listing NGR: TQ0238468642
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.