If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St John the Evangelist
Date Listed: 11 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 290077
OS Grid Reference: TQ1256847977
OS Grid Coordinates: 512568, 147977
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2199, -0.3895
Explore more of the area around Wotton, Surrey at Explore Britain.
WOTTON C.P. GUILDFORD ROAD
4/114 Church of St. John
11/11/66 The Evangelist
Church. Probably of Saxon origin, nave wall and tower mid-C11 - Norman, chancel,
north chapel, north transept and nave C13, Evelyn Mortuary Chapel late C17, South
porch and vestry C19 added in restoration. Bargate rubble with firestone
dressings, newer Bath stone and sandstone dressings in parts. North Chancel.
Chapel rendered on east end, Evelyn chapel to north of thin brick. Horsham slab
roofs, plain tiled roofs over south vestry and porch and wood shingles on bell-
cote. Tower to west with nave and chancel to east. Porch and vestry on south of
nave and chancel respectively, north transept to nave, chapel and Evelyn Mausoleum
to north of chancel. Tower:- north and west walls of tower thicker, blocked horse-
shoe shaped arch to west face on simple imposts with offset flanking buttresses
small rectangular under eaves opening above. Blocked window on south side, smaller
open window under eaves above. Two stage pyramidal roof above with one louvred
opening in each face of bellcote and wooden lead covered spike finial above. Two,
2-light and trefoil roundel windows on south side with hood moulds over, plain
two-light lancet to left buttress at junction with Chancel. Gabled C19 vestry
to south of chancel with gable trefoil and two-light window below. Three gables
to east end, triple lancets under hood moulds and in chamfered surrounds, three
lancets in east end of north chancel chapel circa 1210 (V.C.H) rebated externally
for wood frame and with obtusely pointed heads. Leaded round window on east end
of Evelyn Mausoleum. Gabled and bargeboarded south porch with paired outer doors,
half-open with iron grilles above, c.1858. Inner south door with C13 arch
mouldings on older jamb shafts with shaft ring around middle. Double order of
chamfers to arch, the hood mould of pear-shaped section with flanking hollows.
Chamfered edge to inner order with series of minutely carved busts, 4 to each
side of arch. Lowest head to each side modern, remainder original - Pope, King,
Priest Nobleman, Queen and Pilgrim. Alternate voussoirs of green firestone and
chalk above and impost moulding carried round chamfer to form abacus of shaft
Interior:- Tower arch of similar form to blocked western arch, chancel arch to
north chapel blocked in C17 and used as screen. Two orders with narrow chamfers
to arch and piers and impost moulding carried round chamfers. Tracery of 1858
put on blank walls within arch. East end C19 with fake marble columns and shafts.
Fittings:- C19 stone font in C13 style, old font now in north chapel. C17, stone
with ogee cover. Screen between north aisle and chapel:- 1632, one of few of
this period to survive in Surrey.
Monuments:- North Chapel - small mural tablets including those to George Evelyn
and his wives, 1603. Tripartite with three kneelers and children below. Tablet
next to it dedicated to Richard Evelyn, 1634. Facing kneeling figures under
heavy pediment, figures at sides holding back drapes. Monument to Elizabeth Darcy.
1634. Bust portrait with head leaning on a hand in architectural frame, a baby in
swaddling clothes below. Rich swags and pediments above. John Evelyn, 1706, and
his wife 1709. Two coffin shaped unornamented slabs. Monument to Sir John Evelyn,
erected by his son in 1778. Tablet by Robert Chambers. Monument to George Evelyn.
1829 by Westmacott, with inscription by Dr. Arnold.
Some trees in the churchyard reputedly planted by John Evelyn.
V.C.H. SURREY (1967 Edn) Vol. III pp.158-162.
BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY: NAIRN & PEVSNER pp.541-2.
SURREY ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY BULLETIN NO. 127. May/June 1976. Article by
D. Fowler on Excavations around the Church and Probable Structural Sequence
Listing NGR: TQ1256847977
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.