Description: The Cedars
Date Listed: 10 April 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 290648
OS Grid Reference: TQ2121660598
OS Grid Coordinates: 521216, 160598
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3316, -0.2615
TQ 2160 30/20 10.4.54.
Late C17-early C18. Two storeys with central three storey "tower" of
stock brick. Wings of stock brick with red brick dressings, 3 sashes,
plain pilasters to angles, tall parapets ramped up to ball finials. "Tower"
has central pilasters, carved brackets, open pediment enclosing shield
of arms crest of Mysters of Charterhouse Square, London, builder of the
house. Door of six fielded panels. 1st floor of tower with 3 sashes
and cill on brackets, the outer windows narrow. Band between storeys,
2nd floor has semi-circular window in three parts, bracketed sill and
ornamental keystone. Cornice, blocking course and ball finials.
Interior: hall has plaster cornice, marble floor and staircase with turned
balusters. South ground floor room has plaster panelling and ceiling
with Rococo designs including 4 portrait medallians. Wooden chimney piece
with pedimented shelf, Rococo carving on frieze and festoons of flowers
on pilasters. Overmantel with mirror set in scrolled and shouldered architrave.
Ornamental cast iron fire back. Doorway with reeded pilasters, cornice
and Arms of Mysters over, surrounded by festoon of fruit. South back
room with panelled plaster ceiling containing heads of the Four Seasons.
North back room has panelled ceiling. Two bedrooms on garden front with
panelling. Good joinery throughout. The Cedars, built by a Lord Mayor
of German extraction, was the home of Mary Moffatt, who married Dr Livingstone
Nos 14 to 24 (even), Nos 24A, 24B. Outhouse to north of No 18 and the
Old King's Head Public House form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ2121660598
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.