Description: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Date Listed: 22 July 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 290734
OS Grid Reference: TQ0628860407
OS Grid Coordinates: 506288, 160407
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3328, -0.4757
TQ 06SE BOROUGH OF WOKING CHURCH ROAD, BYFLEET
3/33 Church of St.Mary the
Church C13 with south aisle of 1841, transept by H. Woodyer 1864 and vestry 1867.
Flint and puddingstone rubble with stone dressings; plain tiled roof with wood
shingled bell turret under broach spire to west end. Nave, north porch south aisle
and transept, Chancel with vestry addition to the south east. Windows all 2 light
except for 3 light east window with intersecting tracery; north porch gabled with
arched north door.
Interior: Simple belfry frame to west end of nave, two posts with supporting beams
tied into outer walls on 3 sides. 4 bay nave arcade on round piers, centre crown
post truss to roof. Chancel arch with thick inner order corbelled off at arch
springing also found on transept arch. C19 fittings including stone octagonal
font with quatrofoil decoration, royal arms on south aisle wall dated 1843. Oak
Jacobean Pulpit, panelled and cut down with billeted top, Paintings: Fragmentary
Consecration Cross and seated King over the North door.
Monuments: North Chancel wall: Brass of Thomas Taylor died c1480 standing figure
with clasped hands and prayer inscription on a scroll issuing from his mouth.
Listing NGR: TQ0628860408
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.