If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Date Listed: 18 December 1947
English Heritage Building ID: 291346
OS Grid Reference: SU9681444000
OS Grid Coordinates: 496814, 144000
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1870, -0.6161
Explore more of the area around Godalming, Surrey at Explore Britain.
GODALMING CHURCH STREET
SU 9644 SE AND
SU 9643 NE (east side)
10/75 and 12/75 Church of St Peter and
St Paul (formerly listed under
Church. Principally C12, C13 and C14 with earlier origins and later additions
and alterations, including restorations of 1840 and 1879. Bargate rubblestone
with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs; leaded spire. 4-bay aisled nave,
having C11 work in 2 eastern bays, aisles added C13, all extended westwards C15
or C16 and further extended to west, north and south C19 (in 2 phases). South
porch, of 1879. Transepts C12, altered; north transept extended 1870. Crossing
tower, with early C12 lower stage, C13 belfry stage, c14 parapet and spire.
Lower 3-bay chancel, extended eastwards C14, and restored; having north and
south chapels added early C13, north chapel rebuilt with vestry 1879. 1960s
octagonal extension at north-west corner (not of special interest). Nave: C19
in appearance, in Decorated style, with plinth, double board door to porch and
three 2-light windows. South transept has a 3-light Perpendicular window under
hoodmould with wall monument on its left; north transept has a Perpendicular
window, a C12 doorway with imposts, and a C19 vice on east side with Caernarvon-
arched doorway, slit windows and leafy finial. Tower: some tile quoins; roll-
moulded bands below and above belfry stage which has 2 round-arched, louvred
lights on each side; parapet; corbelled table below spire which has gabled
louvred vents to corners at base, 8 ribs, ribbed leading, lucarnes at top, and
weathercock. Chancel: south chapel has Perpendicular windows of 2 and 3 lights
under hoodmoulds and a C13 triple-lancet window; to its east end a C15/C16
Tudor-arched doorway with shields in spandrels and above it a late C13 window
having 5 stepped lancets below 3 roundels with cinquefoils and hoodmould.
Chancel has perpendicular-style 3-light window in south wall and C19 5-light
window with geometric tracery to east end. North chapel has 1879 east window
copying that of south chapel, and 1879 Perpendicular-style door and two windows
on north side. Interior: Nave; arcades have C12 circular columns and triple-
chamfered pointed arches at east end, otherwise octagonal columns and double-
chamfered pointed arches; panelled roof with early C16 bosses. Tower has C12
pointed arches to transepts and restored Norman arch to chancel. Transepts
have: C13 double-chamfered pointed arches on attached circular columns to aisles
and chapels; heads of C12 windows; piscina and aumbry in south transept.
Chancel: C13, 2-bay, pointed-arched arcades on circular and octagonal columns
(attached at ends); heads of C12 windows, some with painted decoration; C14
squint in south wall; early C14 aumbry, piscina and sedilia; crown post roof.
Chapels: each has piscina and aumbry; in south chapel, outline of former C13
east window, with painted decoration, and of lancet in south wall, with painting
of St John the Baptist; also in south chapel, some old glass in east window, and
fine collared rafter roof, probably C16, with heavily-moulded tie beams and wall
plate and incised decoration to corbels on north side. Monuments: in south
chapel, stone chest tomb of John and Elizabeth Westbrook, diving cable-
moulded base, cusped blind tracery to sides and moulded lid; in chancel, wall
monument to Judeth Elyott, d.1615, having figure of lady kneeling before book on
lectern in elaborately-decorated aedicule, the cornice surmounted by coat of
arms, shields and end pedestals with skull and hour-glass, and tablet with skull
and cross-bones underneath; brasses in chancel commemorating Thomas and Joan
Purvoche, d.1509 (2 figures) and John Barker, d.1595. Fittings: C15 or early
C16 chalk font, in south chapel, with pyramidal base, octagonal stand with
pointed arch to each face, roll moulding and octagonal bowl; panelled, polygonal
pulpit of c.1600, elaborately carved with strapwork decoration and decorated
lozenge and rectangular panels; C19 gallery in north chapel.
A Bott, A Guide to the Parish Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul Godalming
(1987). N Pevsner, Buildings of England, Surrey (1971, 2nd Edition), pp.254-256.
Listing NGR: SU9681144001
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.