If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Date Listed: 9 December 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 291499
OS Grid Reference: SU9611344264
OS Grid Coordinates: 496113, 144264
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1895, -0.6260
Explore more of the area around Godalming, Surrey at Explore Britain.
1338/2/213 WESTBROOK ROAD
Large house, now house and 3 flats, with attached outbuilding range. 1899-1900
by and for H Thackeray Turner; with later C20 alterations. Bargate rubblestone
with ashlar dressings; plain tile roofs. 2 storeys with attic. In Arts and
Crafts style. Main, garden, elevation: 5 irregular bays. Bay 2, projecting as
gabled wing, has a 4-light window to ground and 1st floors, the latter tran-
somed, and a 2-light attic window; large external stack rises from angle with
bay 1, having 2-light window at base; right return has a transomed 4-light
window to ground floor and a 2-light window above. Two bays to right have
ground floor under catslide roof; central arched doorway with recessed, nail-
studded board door; transomed windows of 3 lights to left, 4 lights to right;
4-light flat-roofed dormers to 1st floor; tile-hung, gabled, 2-light dormers to
attic, with tall stack between; right return has recessed ground floor with
4-light window and a 2-light lst-floor window. Bay 1 treated similarly with
catslide roof over ground floor, 3-light window to ground floor and 3-light
flat-roofed dormer to first floor. Bay 5 is set back and gabled; transomed
windows of 2 and 3 lights to ground floor, 1 and 3 lights to 1st floor; and
2-light attic window. Entrance elevation windows are set in deep surrounds fronted by squat columns.Former outbuilding range set back on right has, on left, an arched doorway with window to right; wooden mullioned windows with concrete lintels of 2, 4 and 2 lights to right; 2 later flat-roofed 4-light dormers; and one former pent-roofed dormer to left; ridge stack to right. Rear, entrance, elevation: end bays gabled, left one projecting as wing and having windows of 1 and 2 lights to ground floor, 3 transomed lights to 1st floor, 2 lights to attic, and variety of windows to right return; right end bay in line with main range and having lateral stack with 4-light window to its left on ground floor. Central part has entrance on right with panelled door in moulded architrave protected by gabled porch with paired Doric columns; to far left, an inserted door (to "Top Flat") and between doors, windows of 2 and 4 lights. On first floor near-continuous mullion window in ashlar panel, broken on left by jettied section with windows of 1 and 2 lights, the latter under gable. Left return: 2 doors flanking 4-light transomed window with 5-light transomed window above and 2-light attic window; left door protected by 4-bay hipped-roofed logia which extends leftwards and has tile columns on rubblestone dwarf wall. Right return: transomed windows of 5 and 3 lights, the latter with door (to "The Cottage") inserted; another door (to 3rd flat) in late C20 porch in left angle; on 1st floor, central, transomed 3-light window rising under gable with two 2-light pent-roofed dormers and a cross-ridge stack to its left. Outbuilding range (formerly stable, coach-house, and tool and coal store) projecting on left has board doors and leaded-light windows.
INTERIOR: much of the contemporary interior survives, with wood panelling, decorative plaster friezes and decorative cornices to the principal rooms. In addition, the drawing room has pine panelled walls a decorative plaster ceiling and wide fireplace with pilastered architrave and Delft-tile fireplace surround; morning room has coved, ribbed, ceiling with central floral decoration with pendant; former dining room has columned window alcove, wide fireplace with green polished-stone panels and tulip-decorated fireplace surround, and pulvinated running pomegranate frieze, entrance hall has panelled doors, plasterwork frieze, probably by George Bankart, elaborate wrought-iron light fitting and straight-flight wooden stair with bulbous balusters; on 1st floor, entrance - elevation windows are set in deep surrounds fronted by squat columns.
Thackeray Turner, a follower of Philip Webb, was an important theorist of archi-
tectural design, but himself designed very few houses. Westbrook was his major
work and hence an important piece. Thackeray Turner was also important in being
the 2nd Secretary of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings.
The garden at Westbrook was laid out by Gertrude Jekyll.
Country Life, vol.38 (20 January 1912), pp.92-97.
Listing NGR: SU9610644262
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.