If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Glynde Place
Date Listed: 17 March 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 292943
OS Grid Reference: TQ4565009356
OS Grid Coordinates: 545650, 109356
Latitude/Longitude: 50.8654, 0.0684
Explore more of the area around Glynde, East Sussex at Explore Britain.
TQ 4509 31/527 17.3.52.
This estate has not been sold since the Conquest but has passed several times
through the female line. The mansion was built by William Morley in 1569 and
occupied by the Morley family until 1679 when it passed by marriage to the
Trevors. It was altered and enlarged between 1755 and 1760 by John Morrise
of Lewes, Builder, for Dr Richard Trevor, who was Bishop of Durham from 1752-1771.
Later it passed to the Brands, and in the late C19 was occupied by Henry B
W Brand, Viscount Hampden, who was Speaker of the House of Commons from 1872-1884
and died in 1892. The house forms a complete courtyard of 2 storeys, attic
and semi-basement. But only the west, north and south sides date from the
C16. The east side was filled in during the C18. The whole building is faced
with flints with stone quoins. Parapet. Stone slate roof. Originally casement
windows with stone mullions and transoms, some of which have been altered to
sash windows with glazing bars intact.
West front The main entrance was originally in the west front. This has 7
windows, now all sashes except the northernmost window. It has 5 projections
with stone quoins, the central and end ones being gabled with attic windows,
the others chimney breasts with red brick stacks. In the centre is a 4-centred
stone carriage archway with dripstone and cartouche over. The porch on the
inner side of the arch has the date 1569 and the initials WM over it.
North front The north front has 9 windows, all sashes except at the east end.
Gable at the east end. Gabled projection of 2 windows to the west of this.
Then flint and brick chimney breast. Then a C18 bay of 3 windows on both floors.
Three stone 4-centred doorways.
South front The south front has 6 windows all casements. Projection with
2 gables and another gable at the east end. On this side the roof of the house
is of Horsham slabs.
East front Today the entrance or principal front faces east. This, except
the ends which formed the terminals of the north and south wings dates from
1755-60 and was presumably designed by John Morris, but is in matching style
to the original portions and if it originally had sash windows, these have
been altered to casements in the C19. Seven windows. The parapet has been
mostly rebuilt in red brick and grey headers. In the centre and at each end
is a shaped gable, the centre one of red brick. Beneath the central gable
is a projection with stone quoins, containing a round-headed stone doorway
at the head of 6 steps. Above the doorway are a cartouche, one window on
the first floor and blocked window in the gable. On the inner side of each
end gable is chimney breast and inside this a curved bay window of 2 tiers
of 6 lights on both floors. Within the courtyard each side has a central projection
with a gable over, the north and south ones being wide but only slightly projecting,
the east and west ones narrower but projecting farhter to form porches. The
centre of the east wing is occupied by an C18 hall on ground floor with 2 pairs
of wooden Doric columns at each end and a gallery over. C17 staircase and
Listing NGR: TQ4565009356
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.